Board logo

Engine mount failure...fixed
flak monkey - 7/3/09 at 11:41 AM

Oops, maybe the pinto has a bit more power these days!

Broken the offside engine mount, not failed at the weld, but about 1" down from the block. Its the mount which has all the tensile force on...

Another job for this afternoon! Was hoping to go out for a blat seeings a sits so nice outside too!

I'll post a piccie or 2 later...

David

[Edited on 13/3/09 by flak monkey]

Ben_Copeland - 7/3/09 at 12:57 PM

Whoops.... who'd a thought it

Must be your driving

TGR-ECOSSE - 7/3/09 at 01:36 PM

We had an engine mount failure in the stock car and discovered it was caused by a fault in the clutch and accelerator pedals. With the engine running if you pressed the accelerator pedal to the floor and let the clutch off the floor at the same time it broke the engine mounts Hope this helps
Cheers
Ronnie

flak monkey - 7/3/09 at 02:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TGR-ECOSSE
We had an engine mount failure in the stock car and discovered it was caused by a fault in the clutch and accelerator pedals. With the engine running if you pressed the accelerator pedal to the floor and let the clutch off the floor at the same time it broke the engine mounts Hope this helps
Cheers
Ronnie

So thats what I have been doing wrong!

Was quite suprised that it failed. It was a piece of 25x25x1.6mm box. Think I'll make the new one from 14swg!

David

Chippy - 7/3/09 at 03:11 PM

I used 10g on mine, maybe overkill, but it has the weight of a V6 hanging on it, :-) and it ain't broke , (yet)!!! Cheers Ray

clairetoo - 7/3/09 at 04:06 PM

Mine are 1 5/8 seamless (left overs from making my roll bar braces) - maybe overkill , but they aint broke yet

flak monkey - 7/3/09 at 04:21 PM

I'll see what I can get hold of to make a new pair...

Heres the result Rescued attachment m_P1000387.jpg
Rescued attachment m_P1000387.jpg

pocket rocket - 7/3/09 at 06:20 PM

dam, i can't believe the metal has let go before the rubber part of the mount

gazza285 - 7/3/09 at 11:06 PM

That's quite a weedy engine mount, not surprised it broke, 10gauge or 3mm would be better suited. Made mine out of 50 x 25 x 3 box section.

mr henderson - 8/3/09 at 08:48 AM

I usually think in terms of 3mm for engine mounts. I've got a big sheet of it, and cut pieces off and weld them together as required.

Another approach would be to use the 1.6, if convenient, and strengthen it with extra plates

John

Benzine - 9/3/09 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
I usually think in terms of 3mm for engine mounts. I've got a big sheet of it, and cut pieces off and weld them together as required.

That's how I made mine, very strong indeed.

flak monkey - 9/3/09 at 09:43 PM

Made a new one tonight from 3mm wall 30mm tube. Looks a darn sight more substantial... Just need to weld it up now and make one for the other side too!

David

flak monkey - 13/3/09 at 05:23 PM

Problem solved hopefully! Two new mounts now fitted, so back on the road again...if my welds hold up!

pocket rocket - 13/3/09 at 06:13 PM

nice welding dude

flak monkey - 13/3/09 at 06:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pocket rocket
nice welding dude

Cheers, its a long time since I tackled MIG welding!

pocket rocket - 14/3/09 at 02:04 PM

did you use gas or gasless flux cored wire?

flak monkey - 14/3/09 at 02:39 PM

Thats standard mig welding with gas.

David

NS Dev - 15/3/09 at 02:00 PM

at a guess, using CO2, hence the spatter (mine is the same, I use it too) get a can or two of anti-spatter spray, makes things much easier! (only a quid a can)

On the original mount, it was the weld that started the failure by the way, it cracked from the heat affected zone, pretty normal!