Board logo

alternator problems
pocket rocket - 23/10/09 at 07:58 PM

Hi Guys,

my alternator is stuck solid i put my aux belt on this evening ready to get the engine running tomorrow only to find the engine won't turn over with the belt on... the reason is the alternator pully is stuck solid... i can't even turn it with a socket and ratchet is there anything i can do to fix it or do i need a new on?
i was thinking hit it with a hammer??? lol

rusty nuts - 23/10/09 at 08:00 PM

Could be the pulley is jamming against the body of the alternator ? Unlikely but possible

speedyxjs - 23/10/09 at 08:00 PM

Do you know why it is stuck? Rust?

pocket rocket - 23/10/09 at 08:12 PM

no idea its a bit dark in my workshop and the alternator is hard to get at with the engine in place plan is to take it off sunday and have a good look.
if it is rust can you clean them up so they work ok or should i bin it and get a new one?

speedyxjs - 23/10/09 at 08:14 PM

If it is rust or something easily fixed, i would sort it, put it back on the car and hopefully it will still work fine. No point buying a new alternator if you dont need to.

02GF74 - 24/10/09 at 09:14 AM

stuck alternator?!?!?!

not heard of that one

what model/make is it?

usualy there are two bearings for the sahft so it should turn easier than an easy turny thing.

maybe the bearings have seized? or fitted incorrectly so the shaft cannot run?

also the brashes may have gouged into the cummutator but they are carbon = brittle so would have though they'd have searred off.

ahs it ever turned or this happen recently?

[Edited on 24/10/09 by 02GF74]

pocket rocket - 24/10/09 at 11:57 AM

well i got up at 7am this morning so i would have time to take it off and have a look at it before i had to leave for work.

once i had it off i used a ratchet strap to strap it down to the work bench and have a good go at it... from what i can make out it looks like some grp dust had got in and around the pully and bearings, this with a bit of rust had locked it solid.
10 minutes with an air compressor, some wd40, a 24mm socket and ratchet and a rubber mallet and it is now free and, to quote 02GF74 'turns easier than an easy turny thing'
yet to see if it works as an alternator still but fingers crossed it will be ok.
thanks for the help guys