Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: hmmmm cant get away from the mk!
franky

posted on 9/5/12 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by withersdelivers
i thought this thread would be filled with a variation of opinions and preferences lol. I agree its down to personal choice . Cant seem to load up the mnr site on my phone at the mo . Will check it when i get in .
Does anyone know how much a comprehensive kit is off the top of your heads?
By the way shoot me if you like but i quite like the look of the mnr ! Although not sure on using an mx5 engine ? Thoughts please?

mx5 engines are ok but need a turbo to make any sense. Because they're low compressoin they're not that revvy(imo) but go well with a turbo on them, you're just juggling costs then against having a 'better' engine in the first place. A nice gearbox though.

withersdelivers

posted on 9/5/12 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_l
Give Mnr a call Chris is really helpfull I think the Mnr kit is just under 4k but that's because you get everything you need !! The quality of the MNR is worth every penny !! Mx5 engine is really good for money very revvy !!! Nothing beats a BEC though

i have to agree , i do like a bec , coming from a superbike background that is no surprise . A busa is out of my price range , but how much more work is it using say an r1 engine? As opposed to just the mx5 doner?
or how much of an mx5 would i use if i would be using after market breaks suspension, dials etc anyway?

coozer

posted on 9/5/12 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_l
Give Mnr a call Chris is really helpfull I think the Mnr kit is just under 4k but that's because you get everything you need !! The quality of the MNR is worth every penny !! Mx5 engine is really good for money very revvy !!! Nothing beats a BEC though

Hmm, get one of these...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

withersdelivers

posted on 9/5/12 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
ha ha what the f**k is that ! One hell of a lump but i would have to sell off members of my family to afford that beast lol
coozer

posted on 9/5/12 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote

Its a Roadrunner SRV8, the spec sheet on the wing went 0-60 in 2.1 (if you can get the grip!) Top speed of 208mph @ 6400rpm (theoretical)

Wish I'd took a pic of the bog roll holder on the passenger side of the dash

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 9/5/12 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Or, if you do fancy a BEC this is the way to go....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

withersdelivers

posted on 9/5/12 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
nice riot but i prefere the seven shape and thats a bit too different for me (the rear end )
withersdelivers

posted on 9/5/12 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Its a Roadrunner SRV8, the spec sheet on the wing went 0-60 in 2.1 (if you can get the grip!) Top speed of 208mph @ 6400rpm (theoretical)

Wish I'd took a pic of the bog roll holder on the passenger side of the dash

wow i bet that set you back a quid or two! Although no need for a face lift with a lump like that i spose ?

Slimy38

posted on 9/5/12 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
It was the MNR stand and the Mazda kit I was most impressed with, not just because of the mazda engine but of the sheer amount of donor material that is used. Even down to fitting a modified instrument cowl to keep the speedo and rev counter! They also reuse the front and rear uprights, driveshafts, propshaft (albeit shortened), braking, etc.

And yes, I can't remember the name of the guy I was speaking to (I just remember the incredibly broad Yorkshire accent!) but he was very knowledgeable and helpful. He would be the sort of guy that I'd want on the other end of a phone if I had any problems with the kit.

adithorp

posted on 9/5/12 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
You can get a LS1 v8 and box for less than the price of a gen2 BUSA I've been told. They claim that SR2 is under 500kg even with the v8 (I'm doubtful). It's on MX5 running gear (although the diff has Quaife steel internals) a very nice chassis and some nice touches on the body.

An 04-06 R1 only needs a sump baffle, Power Commander, EXUP bypass (or leave the EXUP in the loom) and a modification to the crankcase breather to be reliable in a car. The BUSA on the other hand needs a dry sump.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

theduck

posted on 9/5/12 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Iv spoken to Chris at MNR. A couple of times and always been very impressed. My next kit will 100% be an MNR.

Don't forget they can also supply complete kits with everything you need for the build including doner parts!

They can also customise the car for a specific donor, including BMWs ;-)

withersdelivers

posted on 9/5/12 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
thanks to all those giving advice in this thread ... Again! Will look through the web again when i get in . Have never given mnr a second look as i thought they were Alot more expensive , but will be interested to see if they can sway me away from the mk!
All comes down to how much i can save come the winter . May still buy built to test the water so to speak . But the temptation to build is growing . The thought of building has become as appealing as the driving itself .
I suppose its also when you get the chance to say " i built that".
Only time will tell but i appreciate all the input from you guys on here! Thanks again.

R1_striker

posted on 10/5/12 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Which ever you but, gkd or mk, you'll only be upset when a striker goes flying past!

small tax, small insurance, huge laughs

Simon

posted on 10/5/12 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be going GKD. Probably

Certainly not scratchbuilding again (probably)!

Still might do a diesel bike!

Or a road legal electric golf buggy

Ah, the possibilites

At least the extension is under way, so that'll be a couple of brownie points!!

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 10/5/12 by Simon]

withersdelivers

posted on 10/5/12 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R1_striker
Which ever you but, gkd or mk, you'll only be upset when a striker goes flying past!

that sounds like a challenge to me! When the time comes ... Track day it is lol . Do you do many track days fella? They are the main reason i want a kit car! Cant wait.

withersdelivers

posted on 10/5/12 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R1_striker

that sounds like a challenge to me! When the time comes ... Track day it is lol . Do you do many track days fella? They are the main reason i want a kit car! Cant wait.

theduck

posted on 10/5/12 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Did my email come through?
withersdelivers

posted on 10/5/12 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck
Did my email come through?

yes thanks very much for sending that to me. Have not looked at the spread sheet yet though as it Wont open on my phone . But will have a look on the mac book when im home in a bit . Thanks again you have opened another option for me.neil

theduck

posted on 10/5/12 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thats ok. Only asked as had trouble sending it.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.