Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Everyone has their own opinion...
Daimo_45

posted on 10/10/07 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Ooops...forgot sgrabcar is American. Just the Vette are tards.
rpmagazine

posted on 10/10/07 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
There seemed a mixed opinion on the forum and some was positive. Mindless and unconsidered opinion is the speedhump we all face as special builders.
cadebytiger

posted on 10/10/07 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
your car looks a hell of alot better i think!!
cadebytiger

posted on 10/10/07 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
an i bet also goes round corners!!
iank

posted on 10/10/07 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
If you want to understand these kinds of reaction look up 'Postdecisional Dissonance' - one of the implications of Cognitive Dissonance.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

nick205

posted on 10/10/07 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Almost tempted to register on the Vette forum and offer some education on the following...

Style
Individuality
Skill
Patience
Attention to detail
Car design
Handling
Power to weight ratio
Enterprise
Live and let live

...I could go on.

Steve - as other have, I salute your efforts and wish you well. I'm proud enough to have built a kit car let alone a full on scratch build.

Nick

gttman

posted on 10/10/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
that corvette thread made me laugh.

It's fairly clear they need glasses if they think Steve's car looks like a corvette....... So I'd stick a covette badge on the front and post a pic on that thread.
Now that would be fun.

On a more serious note, these guys are hardly your target audience so who cares if they like your car or not.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

kb58

posted on 10/10/07 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Style
Individuality
Skill
Patience
Attention to detail
Car design
Handling
Power to weight ratio
Enterprise
Live and let live

...I could go on.

Nick

Nick, I encorporated your list and fired a reply across their bow. Let's see what happens.

[Edited on 10/10/07 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 10/10/07 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Wow Nellie! You guys! I didn't think this was going to start such a 'Steve Love' thread! holy cow. But thank you, I am moved and a little misty eyed that you come to my defense with such passion. You're a great group of individuals,

I admit to being a bit put off by that thread, and how it appeared that a mob mentality had set in against my little car. And I did take it personally because I don't hear the negative very often.... Tells you something right there doesn't it? But this morning after sleeping on it and coming to the same basic conclusion as most of you that a percentage of Americans are really close-minded (in a stereotypical sort of way) and tend to fear what they don't understand, I am ok with letting them diss my car. Fock'em. In a few months maybe one of them will have their socks blown off by la Bala and they will start to evangelize to their friends about the cool new middy that kicks Corvette ass! LOL.

BTW- Kurt, you are a stand-up guy. || And iank... you scare me!

Finally wrt Americans... If 2% of Americans are complete twatters, that's over 4 million people! Let's assume a twattage rate of 10%.... Holy cow that's a big pile of morons!

- I can make fun of my own....

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 10/10/07 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
The negative comments on that forum are worthless, dey jus jealous!

Anyway we can unleash that 'ggnore' chap on their forum?

sgraber

posted on 10/10/07 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by violentblue
and yes, I get tired of explaining to people what I'm building, only to get the reply "so its a kit car then?"

So true! I have people that see the car IN PERSON and they have been told right there that its designed and built from scratch, and they STILL are trying to ask what kind of car it is...

I think it all goes back to what iank said....

G.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

violentblue

posted on 10/10/07 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, showed thet I had double posted, then I deleted the second post, my first also dissapeared.

I think I'll take a nap now.

a few pics of my other projects

kreb

posted on 11/10/07 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Bah, of the various auto enthusiast groups in the US, Corvette owners are arguably the pigiest. The faster Vettes make good competition at the track, however.

I remember a hilarious bit by a comic where he's talking about how he considers himself a good guy, husband, parent, friend, et cetera. Then he get's in his Corvette AND BECOMES AN ASSHOLE. Now I don't necessarily think this about Corvette owners. Some are great fellows, but obviously their affinities lie with big, honkin, torquey, factory-built machines. It's kind of like asking a boxer what he thinks of Tai Chi.

edit:

Great reply, Kurt!

[Edited on 11/10/07 by kreb]

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1966_FiatAbarth_1000SP1.jpg

Fred W B

posted on 11/10/07 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe they would prefer this lightly modified Vette?

Cheers

Fred W B

limovette
limovette

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Fred W B

posted on 12/10/07 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
It's not just Steve

Some OPO on Dicks car .

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 12/10/07 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

chrisf

posted on 12/10/07 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I'm a little late to this party... I think he said it best

quote:

To me this sort of thing is symptomatic of the societies will all live in. People are now conditioned to be consumers and not creators. I’m sure we’ve all seen the blank uncomprehending look when you tell someone you are building your own car from scratch.

This is so true. I kind of like the Corvette. I think they sound pretty cool. But Steve, you have to remember the audience here. Corvette buyers are typically in their mid-life crisis phase and do not have the capacity to think outside the box. I know this because my father used to have a 'Vette.

The real thing they miss is the appreciation for craftsmanship. Were I to design my own car, it certainly would not look like yours, but one must take give pause and appreciate what you did.

I cannot speak of those outside the US, but for the most part, we Americans are car guys. One can build in (like we do) or buy in like others do. We that build-in get a chuckle at the buyers. Harley buyers are the worse, too. It's like they suddenly wake up one morning and realize they either never had an identity or they lost the one they had. The cure: run to a Harley dealership and buy a lifestyle.

Apologies for the rant.

[EDIT] Kimini: Well done setting things straight.

--Chris

[Edited on 12/10/07 by chrisf]

Doug68

posted on 12/10/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Now I properly realize the purpose of building your own car is to annoy Stupid People.

Actually I'm offended that I can't some group of like minded blockheads crapping on what I'm up too.

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

tigris

posted on 12/10/07 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
kimini comment

KB-I think your post went over the intel/reading comp. level of most corvette forum members.

graber-criticism of others generally stems from ignorance and insecurity (50k penis extension). The fact of the matter is that after designing and building and taking the time to understand dynamics with your own car; you really know more about their car than they do.

Please do not dispute my opinions because my dumps smell like roses.

Peteff

posted on 13/10/07 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
It's kind of like asking a boxer what he thinks of Tai Chi.

I can't stand foreign food
If you've paid $X,000 for something you probably need to feel superior to someone. It's human nature I think.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

gottabedone

posted on 13/10/07 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
It's the same everywhere though!
Over here in the UK, you haven't "made it" unless you live in the right postcode and drive his and hers BMW's (M3 as his pen1s extension and an X5 for her to take the kids to school in)
I don't know what a new Vette sells for in the states but surely with an ounce of common sense and backbone you could not follow the sheep in front of you and buy a car that
1. looks good.
2. goes around corners like it doesn't belong in a circus.
3. will attract interest from passers by that are over 12!

The "kitcar" stigma is something that we all have to put up with. If it's not branded as a kit car then it's a re-bodied something or other. Shame really as we take all of the best parts that we can from various sources and put them into our own cars that in every way will out perform the donor and anything that is remotely similar.

But hey, this is just my opinion and I'm here because I share the opinion of you guys.......which I suppose is what the Corvette owners are saying too (only we aren't sheep)

remember though.......Opinions are like assholes, everbody has one and you always think everyone elses stinks

Don't let them drag you down Kurt or Steve and although we are the other side of the water we do realise that there are a few Americans that weren't made with the same mould!!

regards

Steve

locost_bryan

posted on 26/10/07 at 03:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
So true! I have people that see the car IN PERSON and they have been told right there that its designed and built from scratch, and they STILL are trying to ask what kind of car it is...

Just tell them it's the '09 'vette

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

thomas4age

posted on 26/10/07 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
well, one things for sure it's again a 100% real Yanky to bring that up!

don't ever pay attention to those people, they just shout before they have looked at anything.

Oh and KB58 would you please never again mention the name Boyd coddington,
I watch his show in discovery pretty often because there's only winsor pilates on the other channel at 10:am, and frankly I have never see them build anything I would drive around a 90degree corner at 60mls an hour. sportscars and modern engineering my A**. he's defenatly not locostbuilders worthy! (and not because of costs)

they should watch more topgear over there!

grtz Thomas

[Edited on 26/10/07 by thomas4age]

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

kb58

posted on 26/10/07 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Do a search on "Alumitube" if you want to see an amazing build of an all-aluminum hot rod. Of course, it'll crack in no time and the suspension isn't worth beans, but you'll look great, having spent a fortune to be different.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

Fred W B

posted on 27/10/07 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Re Boyd coddington, is it just me who thinks he seems to be the worlds worst manager?

Cheers

Fred W B

andygtt

posted on 27/10/07 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Re Boyd coddington, is it just me who thinks he seems to be the worlds worst manager?

Cheers

Fred W B

Nope don't agree, that title goes to his workshop manager.

I still enjoy watching the programmes as its still more relevant to what I enjoy than say Eastenders or equivelent rubbish.

Andy

please redefine your limits.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.