Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Done this before?
Volvorsport

posted on 29/11/07 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
well i thought about this , and the 360 does have a transaxle (laid out like that and alfa does), so it could be done , it may be even easier just lob off teh tailshaft and start from there .

im sure you could get the gear linkage in aswell .

teh f1 cars and big powerful sprint motors do use gearboxes which have quite long bellhousings to make weight distribution better .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

oadamo

posted on 29/11/07 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
whippy what happened to your locost chassis it looks like you have most things to get it up and running.
adam

Confused but excited.

posted on 29/11/07 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
With that layout, the big supercharger and scoop on top of the engine won't block your line of sight, so no SVA problems.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/11/07 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oadamo
whippy what happened to your locost chassis it looks like you have most things to get it up and running.
adam

err that's it there (or whats left of it) I was just not happy with the whole 7 thing and just kept thinking that the 7 wasn't what I wanted, I wanted a single seater and after seeing some of the ones on the site I though bu**er it I'm going to make one, so I dismantled the 7...I think it was the huge tires and wheels that did it in the end.

Oh the chassis is sitting outside till I move it.

[Edited on 29/11/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 29/11/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Why not automatically solve a bunch of issues by using an Audi transaxle.

I've read they're good for 500bhp.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

NeilP

posted on 29/11/07 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cossie v6 as stated - Comes with the autobox (strengthen internals) straight from the Granada donor - One on ebay for £100 t'other day...

200bhp as received
300bhp for not much £££
Can go to silly power in increments of £...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

TheGecko

posted on 30/11/07 at 03:31 AM Reply With Quote
You could always take a leaf from Len Terry (Racing Car Design & Development) or Lamborghini for that matter. Turn the engine/box around and put the box between the seats, then run a long propshaft (driven by duplex chain from the box) past the engine to the rear end. Lambo do it with gears and the propshaft hides in the sump. Terry did it with the LT24 (or was it LT23) prototype with a Ford V6 etc in that config. I wont be home until late tonight but if I remember I'll scan the diagram from the book. Chain also gives you all kinds of extra ratio options

Dominic

[Edited on 30/11/2007 by TheGecko]

Fred W B

posted on 30/11/07 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Whippy - where you been?

What is the wheel base dimesion you have now?

With a Rover V8 and audi transaxle I battled to fit my feet in with a 2400 mm wheelbase.

I would suggest you lay out the pedal box / front suspension mounts / steering rack positon etc before you go any futher

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/11/07 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Fred,

Been welding up old bangers and building houses...

I'm getting a wheelbase of just under 3m! Sounds excessive, not that I'm worried as the cars almost 2m's wide , It's almost the same size as my Volvo 850, but I've seen F1 cars in real life and the first thing that strikes you is their huge and nothing like the size of a 7. This car when finished will have quite a presence on the road.

I'm getting away with this layout due to the unusually large fuel tank size of the Williams Honda and the compact size of the v6 I have (no wider than my seat and very short (me being short helps also! ). I'm waiting on a copy of Autocad to arrive but have most of the structure sorted out. I've settled on a long steel back bone chassis with sheet ally box sidepods. So should be very light but with good crash protection. The body work will be non-structural and quite thin.

[Edited on 30/11/07 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 30/11/07 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
There is no reason not to do it that way except it's more compact and lighter to use a transaxle.

The mid engined 750 racers do exactly the same thing with a live axle due to the regs requiring the use of the original running gear from a robin reliant.

Good so see the mad ideas didn't abate in your absence

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

smart1275gt

posted on 30/11/07 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I like your style! Go for it! I'm a fan of the 2.8 lump and would sound really nice. What about a tickford turbo conversion?

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/11/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart1275gt
I like your style! Go for it! I'm a fan of the 2.8 lump and would sound really nice. What about a tickford turbo conversion?

cheers , I've heard the engine before and it's nice, as for a turbo or two hmm maybe in the future as I think it will take me a while before I start feeling it's too slow...

johnston

posted on 1/12/07 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
if your gonna be usin it on the road where are your legs gonna be in relation to front axle with some of the prats driving on our roads you wouldnt want someone driving over your feet

i remember some law coming out there had to be so much body infront of occupants hence why all the jap vans started coming out with funny bumbers while back dunno if sva would go by same rule.

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/12/07 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
That’s a good point; I don't think there are any minimum distances for the SVA. There have been quite a few single seat cars done on this site and their axle’s are quite close to your feet and they passed.

On the car I intend on doing, the wheel obviously if nowhere near the driver and there is still the nose cone and spoiler to take a crash. I'm going to make the nose forward of the pedals out of a block of crushable foam to act as a buffer and a 5mm sheet of ally behind that to spread the load. The cabin will be a double braced space frame with a steel floor so should be plenty strong enough.

One of the reasons for me doing the car now is the fear that future regulations will soon make it imposable to do it...

[Edited on 1/12/07 by Mr Whippy]

oadamo

posted on 3/12/07 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
made your mind up yet what your doing. i think you should just go for it.
adam

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/12/07 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
oh yes I'm building it

oadamo

posted on 4/12/07 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
well done get some pics up when you get going. it should be fast as fack when its done.
adam

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.