Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ground clearance issues
sdevo4rs

posted on 18/11/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
ground clearance issues

Does anyone know if there is anything available to adjust ride height/increase ground clearance for speed humps etc whilst still driving the car??

Ive seen them on the likes of lambo's and ferrari's etc but nothing for kit cars.

cheers

ste

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/11/08 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
how much power do you have?

or how about using this kind of stuff?? linky

[Edited on 18/11/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sdevo4rs

posted on 18/11/08 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Imagine that!

im looking to build a turner auto design Lmp but the ground clearance issue keeps coming to mind, just wondered if anyone had a solution for it

aka Keith

posted on 18/11/08 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
I assume you mean like adjustable air suspension. I thought that someone on here was looking into seomthing similar.

Did you follow Mr Whippy's link?

[Edited on 18/11/08 by aka Keith]

minitici

posted on 18/11/08 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Nitram38 on here (Motaleira) is installing air suspension to get over the road humps.
sdevo4rs

posted on 18/11/08 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah someting along those lines, just piece of mind when coming up to the bloody speed bumps.

Could it be used aswell as the standard coilovers so you retain the good handling?

Ben_Copeland

posted on 18/11/08 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap and easy solution ... avoid speed humps! or approach at an angle, so theres always one wheel on the speed hump!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/11/08 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdevo4rs
Yeah someting along those lines, just piece of mind when coming up to the bloody speed bumps.

Could it be used aswell as the standard coilovers so you retain the good handling?

The air suspension is not meant to be used with other systems. The air bag type requires separate dampers and will handle well if the dampers match the car weight. There are also combined units and they give good handling, don't think they are spongy things as if the units are correctly selected for the car the ride is the same as for springed suspension.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mikeb

posted on 18/11/08 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
NO reason why you couldn't use a tandem system with the coil over providing most of the springing with air assist to lift the ride height. Would take a bit of playing with to get the right spring rate in roll but definately feasible.

You coudl probably come up with a fancy linkage so the air springs only work in pure bump and rebound and are isolated in roll.

(note, this probably wouldn't be an off the shelf systems you'd have to hunt in the air spring catalogues etc to get what you needed)

M

[Edited on 18/11/08 by mikeb]

mikeb

posted on 18/11/08 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
aka 3rd spring (are these still used in race cars to control attitude angle due to aero effects)
coozer

posted on 18/11/08 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
a jet in front of the engine pointing straight down or some Red Bull perhaps?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

omega0684

posted on 18/11/08 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
why not stiffen up your springs a bit? i found that i had hardly any ground clearence and a very spongy ride, after i wound the springs up about 8 turns i had an extra couple of inches clearence and the rides feels a lot more sportier!
sdevo4rs

posted on 18/11/08 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
The speedhumps arent too bad where i live, but the access onto my drive is a bit of a joke, just seeing what my best options are.

Ideally, coilovers will be the easiest solution, but on the same note i dont want to be wrecking the splitter or causing any damage when it could of been avoided to start with.

blakep82

posted on 18/11/08 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
hydraulics! quite want them on mine actually. i'd like my car as low as possible, but it need SOME practicality lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mark chandler

posted on 18/11/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Air springs are pretty cool actually as you can adjust the amount of recoil at whatever hieght you want by adjusting the taper, this is how landrover have a soft spring at full extension.

Imagine pushing you finger into a ballon, with a little effort it goes in a long way, now push you fist in, the taper on a landrover spring is thin at the end so even though the air pressure is much greater at full ride hieght the suspension is softer than at motorway speeds when the pressure is reduced.

sdevo4rs

posted on 19/11/08 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
That sounds quite cool mark, got to do some more homework on this. Ive got my heart set on the turner Lmp and cant let ground clearance issues put me off the build

steve

C10CoryM

posted on 19/11/08 at 03:24 AM Reply With Quote
Air springs can be a bit of a pain. Was working on a 72 C10 (truck) with them today actually.
Cons: The air lines/fittings often leak.
Difficult to figure out the exact spring rate to match shocks too.
Need to mount seperate shocks.
Bags are (usually) bulky
Need to find room for a heavy compressor and air tank.

Pros: adjustable ride height (that changes your spring rate).

I would guess you are better off with a normal coilover, and using a manual, or electric operated screw to move the upper coil over mount outwards or downwards. If the coil over gets further from the chassis, the car will go up.
Trick would be making it snug so that your coilover doesnt rattle and strong enough.

I think one of the super cars does something similar on theirs.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

Vindi_andy

posted on 21/11/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
I think the caparo uses this because top gear would post the time on their board to start with because it couldnt go over speed bumps

Then they fitted something which then gave adjustable ride height so that it would.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.