Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driveshaft spline / CV joint problem
Hadders

posted on 13/12/08 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Driveshaft spline / CV joint problem

Got my shiny new shafts from GB Engineering and a set of new CV joints to match. Having filled them with grease come to fit them and only one slides on without any resistance. The others go on 10mm then stick fast. They are standard 25 spline 100mm joints.

I'm at a total loss as I assembled one shaft with two of the old joints and all was okay. Factors said only options for joints were 28/108mm or 25/100mm so in theory i have the right joints. Or are there two types of 25/100mm?

Anyone had similar / got any ideas?

minitici

posted on 14/12/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Does the one good CV fit all shaft ends or does it only fit one shaft end?
Similarly do all the CV joints fit the good shaft end?
If it is the shaft splines which are tight - then sometimes with new/tight splines you can ease them a bit by brushing with a twisted wire cup brush in a grinder.

Hadders

posted on 14/12/08 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks minitici. The good joint fits all splines but the other joints will not go on any. Seems like the splines have quite sharp edges and would benefit from being slightly flatter and not so triangular in profile. The Sierra shafts seem more like this and all the joints fit in these.

How hard are the splines? Would it be stupid to try to round off / flatten the splines by file as well as wire cup brush? Will I damage the shafts?

TIA

rusty nuts

posted on 15/12/08 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
A very thin needle file may help but the steel is likely to be pretty hard. A normal size file would be too large . Might be worth using some grinding paste and an old CV joint to lap the splines in after filing?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.