Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why did they pick on the Auto refinishing industry
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 4/1/09 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Why did they pick on the Auto refinishing industry

In the last few years the paint industry is being forced over to water based paint.......forceing my paint supplier to stop selling 2 packs ect.

So the question is why doesn't BOOTS the chemist get forced to change the paints they sell!
Sure we buy paint in a few litres at at time but thats it we spray one or two cars a year.

All those little pots of paint must add up to a lot more of the stuff.
Further more I think the stuff in the little pots is a lot more volatile than my paint.
It stinks the whole house out in seconds and its such a small amount.

What do you think?

MikeR

posted on 4/1/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
buy your paint from boots then!
Volvorsport

posted on 4/1/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
ironically if your painting a 1000 chairs and tables you can buy as much two pack paint as you want .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

A1

posted on 4/1/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
em...excuse my ignorance, but surely if you use water based paint it dissolves quite easily...in water. not much help on a car in britain.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 4/1/09 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
em...excuse my ignorance, but surely if you use water based paint it dissolves quite easily...in water. not much help on a car in britain.

Priceless

HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 4/1/09 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's was cellullose that's being stopped although if you need it to paint 'classic cars' it can still be ordered, or so i'm told by my friendly supplier

i think the water based paint has a hardener which would make it 2 pack,
Supposed to be a bit dodgy for home use, needing breathing equipment etc

Hadders

posted on 4/1/09 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
First of all have to correct some totally wrong points here.. water based paint is not two pack - you can't have a solvent hardener in a water based product!

Second, for the last 10-15 years motor manufacturers have been painting cars in water-based paints and two pack solvent clears on top (exception being USA)

These are far, far, far superior to solvent base coats. They are highly stable, better match and cover very smoothly. The metallics don't move when you apply the clear unlike the old solvent bases. I still don't understand why people always want to paint in solvent and clear or cellulose rather than use these products. If you can prep and spray correctly the finish is so much better. Plus you don’t flat the paint coats, only the lacquer and you use much less product.

Thirdly, they can be sprayed at home safely with a suitable standard mask. No need for positive air-fed. Also as long as you specify non-isocyanate you can use high gloss super clear two pack lacquers over the top for a finish to match that of any car manufacturer. I paint Astons, Porsches, Bentleys and Ferraris with these and you cannot tell where the new paint / lacquer is (this is usually not edge to edge by the way so is critical).

Now then back to your question Mango..

its because its down to the amount of product expelled into the air by the user. The EU measures it in tons, so you can see who they are targeting. Bodyshops would fail automatically and hence have to use booths (as well as for baking of course) whose exhaust air is often quite literally cleaner than that which is drawn in. Individual pots of paint obviously can never exceed these limits on their own as a one off.

Interestingly for those of us in the Smart repair area of the refinishing industry we are also required to meet these requirements but don't produce enough pollutants per annum to exceed them so don't need to use filtered booths. However, if we were to use non-isocyante paints you need a 14 metre exclusion zone and a 30min clean down time afterwards. There are great penalties if you don't do this.

Changing over to water-based paint is part of the overall master plan to reduce the level of pollutants. They don't have the VOC's (the pungent smell) that you get with solvent based paints and which is strictly monitored too.

We all have to deal with the legalisation, but I for one would never go back to solvent paint. Occasionally though we have to paint RAL paint codes onto trucks, farm machinery etc. Always prefer to get back to the water-based.

HTH

Cheers

owelly

posted on 5/1/09 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Wow! A nice bit of info there matey. Cheers.
Now can I bring the subject back down to my level? Can I paint my car with Eggshell Emulsion and paint it on with a cabbage?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 5/1/09 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Now can I bring the subject back down to my level? Can I paint my car with Eggshell Emulsion and paint it on with a cabbage?

Absolutely, how bad could it look?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Peteff

posted on 5/1/09 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Wow! A nice bit of info there matey. Cheers.

Sorry, you will have to use broccoli for this job under new EU legislation. You definitely mustn't use a stick of Brussels because of the emmissions. I don't have any problem buying cellulose paint in any colour I want, I just lie about what I'm painting.

[Edited on 5/1/09 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.