Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Choice of uprights...MR2?
GRRR

posted on 9/3/09 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Choice of uprights...MR2?

Just been daydreaming, why don't people use MR2s as donor cars for mid engined kits whether just for the uprights, or much more of it? they're cheap strong and plentiful. Good engines too, LSD option, rear drive gearbox linkage already sorted.
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/3/09 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
or just keep it as an MR2 their quite good cars

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 9/3/09 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
There are alot of kits to transform an MR2 into other cars like Lambo's, Ferrari's etc

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

James

posted on 9/3/09 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRRR
Just been daydreaming, why don't people use MR2s as donor cars .

They do.

Fair few peeps on here have.

That mid-engine Locost based uni-student car in last months PPC was MR2 based IIRC.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

russbost

posted on 9/3/09 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Furore F1 is MR2 Mk1 based, single donor. only thing from elsewhere is the rack & lower column - keeps costs down.

Think you'll find the answer to your original question is that people (including manufacturers) are like sheep, they follow the herd, instead of saying BAA BAA they say FORD FORD

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
GRRR

posted on 9/3/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Think you'll find the answer to your original question is that people (including manufacturers) are like sheep, they follow the herd, instead of saying BAA BAA they say FORD FORD

I wondered if that might be the case. I have a rev 2 MR2 which I love but also can't help thinking it'd make a good donor and not just for naff body conversions! I missed that issue of PPC, sounds interesting.

TheGecko

posted on 9/3/09 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRRR
Just been daydreaming, why don't people use MR2s as donor cars for mid engined kits whether just for the uprights, or much more of it? they're cheap strong and plentiful. Good engines too, LSD option, rear drive gearbox linkage already sorted.

There's nothing special about MR2 uprights, front or rear. Series 1 (AW11) - the rear uprights are the same as Corolla AE80; Series 2 (SW20) - they're Camry/Celica; Series 3 (ZZW30) - I believe they're Celica as well. The fronts are just FWD uprights with a retaining bolt through the middle to replace the driveshaft and hold the bearings together.

Gearboxes are the same as Corolla/Camry/Celica in each series, just with the linkage brought to the front side of the box rather than the rear.

MR2's are wonderful examples of Toyota's pragmatic approach to making cars. They reuse loads of parts from the common vehicles to make something "exotic". This of course is nothing new - the X1/9 is just Fiat 128 running gear in the back of a sexy body.

Anyway, there's nothing inherently "mid-engined" about MR2 components and so there's little advantage to be had in chopping one up as a donor in preference to, say, a Corolla.

Dominic

pocket rocket

posted on 10/3/09 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
the Tiki kit car that i think is due out soon has mk2 mr2 as a single donor...

http://www.tiki-cars.co.uk/

i must say i was thinking of taking out my zetec se engine in the winter and putting a 3sgte engine in for next summer and use tiki uprights to save time makinh my own

Dam...iv consused my ability with my intentions!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.