Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: induction kits / airfilters and rain water
pocket rocket

posted on 10/3/09 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
induction kits / airfilters and rain water

I am in need of some advise before i mount my induction kit.
Iv seen many a picture of a 7 with a hole cut in the side or even the top of the bonnet and an air filter sticking out... i must say this looks cool and i guess is the best way of ensuring the engine gets nice cold air...... but what if your out driving and it starts to rain?
I want to mount my induction kit as far away as possable from the block but am a bit worried about sucking up some rain and killing my engine

Dam...iv consused my ability with my intentions!

blakep82

posted on 10/3/09 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
hmm, if the filter gets soaking wet, it might restrict the air a bit, but i think you're looking at fully submersing the car before water would kill the engine.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Hellfire

posted on 10/3/09 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
A small amount of water ( as condensate) can actually increase power... due to atomisation of the molecules Hydrogen and Oxygen... some high end turbo chargers have water injection.

Apparently...

Steve

greggors84

posted on 10/3/09 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
As long as you have filters on you would struggle to get enough water in to hydraulic the engine.

If you didnt have filters on and drover through a big puddle you could get enough water in to do some damage. But you would have to be very unlucky.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

pocket rocket

posted on 10/3/09 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
cool, thats good to know, i guessed it would be ok otherwise people wouldn't do it lol

thanks

Dam...iv consused my ability with my intentions!

rick q

posted on 10/3/09 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
With mine parked outside in driving rain I cover the filter socks with a plastic bag when it's raining.

However, driving home the other night in torrential rain, the car only just made it. As the filters got soaked, the water seemed to mix with the filter oil in the sock and turn into almost jelly. Car stopped in the driveway (lucky) and had to be pushed into the shed.

I run an aftermarket ECU using TPS only - so clogged filters really confuses it. Also rain in Queensland is likely to be a bit heavier than you get over there.

I'm now changing from socks to a Pipercross with a scoop over so they don't at least sit in driving rain.

speedyxjs

posted on 10/3/09 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Iv been thinking about this. I have an induction kit on my tintop and was thinking about getting some of that trunking you can get to direct air from the bottom grill in the bumper the air filter but am abit worried about sucking too much water in.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

eznfrank

posted on 10/3/09 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Iv been thinking about this. I have an induction kit on my tintop and was thinking about getting some of that trunking you can get to direct air from the bottom grill in the bumper the air filter but am abit worried about sucking too much water in.

never mind water, mine hoovered up the local wildlife......linky

omega0684

posted on 10/3/09 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
if you are that worried about it then why dont you fit a plenum instead? how often are you going to drive the car in terrential rain? if i were you i wouldn't worry myself about it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.