Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: steering column support ...help please.
pocket rocket

posted on 17/4/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
steering column support ...help please.

Hi guys,

Iv been messing about with my steering column for months now and really want it sorted, iv been having problems supporting it properly but i think iv come up with a solution...

the idea is that i weld a bolt to the chassis (rather than use blue tape to hold it on) and can then screw on the rose joint and pass the steering column through the middle.

It does meen that the column will sit between the brake and clutch peddle but the is plenty of clearance for the peddles.

so what do you think??? i can't find a better way of doing it so hope this is ok.

Also iv practiced welding a tencile steel bolt to a piece of mild steel and i can't get it to bond can you not weld these together or do i just need more practice? Rescued attachment steering column support 004.jpg
Rescued attachment steering column support 004.jpg

Dam...iv consused my ability with my intentions!

pocket rocket

posted on 17/4/09 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
the uj's look like they are at a very tight angle in the pic but they are really not as bad as they look.

pic of the joint and bolt... Rescued attachment steering column support 002.jpg
Rescued attachment steering column support 002.jpg

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/4/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
I like that idea, provided you weld on a bracket to hold the joint rather than drill a huge hole through that tube as I feel you'll risk weakening it

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dinosaurjuice

posted on 17/4/09 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
its EXACTLY what i intend to do. ive still got a 'temporary' marine plywood bush on the ally bulkhead... passed sva fine but it looks ermm naff!

dinosaurjuice

posted on 17/4/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
i dont think your radiator will fit in with the column there. my column is between accel and brake and only just clears rad...

pocket rocket

posted on 17/4/09 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
arrrrr you might be right
if i use a shorter bolt (the one i have is 80mm) i can bring the rose joint and with it the column closer to the chassis rail and run it between the brake and accel peddel, thus missing the rad

thanks guys

ashg

posted on 17/4/09 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
the thing that comes to my mind is to go out and get a floor mounted pedal box. espensive yes but easy also.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Phil.J

posted on 17/4/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Why not machine an aluminium clamp bracket to go round the tube with a threaded boss for the joint to screw into, or for a piece of threaded bar in it for your female joint to screw onto?
blakep82

posted on 17/4/09 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
what if you welded on a steel bracket to the chassis ( a plate with a hole in it) and use a male rose joint instead? that way it goes between brake and accel too

i don't know why, but i prefer male joints to female ones.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

GeorgeM

posted on 17/4/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
what if you welded on a steel bracket to the chassis ( a plate with a hole in it) and use a male rose joint instead? that way it goes between brake and accel too

Is there a difference in the way they're rolled??

blakep82

posted on 17/4/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
rolled? how do you mean?

it would be easier to assembale i think. you can put the rose joint on the shaft, the tightiten 2 lock nuts on the male thread. the rose joint won't need to be rotated.

with the female one, you'd need to install it on the bolt, then try and get the steering shaft through ot, if its wrong, you'll have to take it all apart again.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mr henderson

posted on 18/4/09 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeM
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

Is there a difference in the way they're rolled??

Very few women can roll a decent joint, I have found

John

Marcus

posted on 20/4/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
You're lucking in the wrong place John!!
All the best cigars are rolled on the thighs of cuban virgins

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.