Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tank location in a middy?
CraigJ

posted on 12/5/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank location in a middy?

From what i have read the new IVA states that the Fuel tank can not be in the engine bay or passenger compartment...

Well seeing as i am building an onyx mongoose this leave's me kinda f**ked as i only have those too areas in my car.

Any Ideas?

Miks15

posted on 12/5/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
anyroom up front?

or possibly behind the passender seat? ( i believe this is what is done on the MEV rocket

CraigJ

posted on 12/5/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
no room at all up front, its filled with the suspension/rack and soon to be either rad or battery.

CraigJ

posted on 12/5/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be possible to make a separte compartment in the engine bay? a Box section frame clad with alloy? then put the tank in it?

theconrodkid

posted on 12/5/09 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
could you surround the tank in a box made from some fireproof material like the stuff they put over turbo,s?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

zilspeed

posted on 12/5/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
It's the biggest 'packaging' issue if you want a decent sized tank.
My GTM had it behind a bulkhead behind the seats.
A friend is building a sports racing car and that has it behind a bulkhead between the passenger compartment and ahead of the engine.

If you think of pretty much all of the sports racing cars and single seaters, they all have the tanks in there.
It may be closest to the passenger compartment, but it's also the forthest from both front and rear impacts.

iank

posted on 12/5/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Us freestylers have the same problem.
Alan is currently in talks with VOSA over what to do with the filler, which currently comes out in what "might" be considered the engine bay.
See http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=108962

Basically it looks like the tank will have to be in a separately bulkheaded compartment probably behind the seats.

Don't know if you have room for a center tunnel which could hold the tank.

[Edited on 12/5/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

wozsher

posted on 12/5/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Got the same problem with the midi Im building.Issue seems to be (speaking to Chad Test centre) that anything behind the rear bulkhead could be classed as the engine compartment.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
CraigJ

posted on 12/5/09 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
How a bout at the bottom of the passenger side foot well if i made a separate fire wall to enclose it from the rest of the foot well?

wozsher

posted on 12/5/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
That could work. Ive been thinking Side pods or a slim tranny tunnel like the MR2. I think the problems going to be yet again individual testers and their take on things
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
pocket rocket

posted on 12/5/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
there has been a thread on the all car club about this, all the rocket and sonic 7 builders are now faced with this problem.
there is space up the front but that meens moving the rad, and the only place to put that really is on top of the engine
not sure what to do as of yet.

Dam...iv consused my ability with my intentions!

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 13/5/09 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
TBH I would be tempted to rig up a temporary arrangement to pass the IVA then have the fuel tank "Accidentally" fall into the position it was originally meant to be in.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

hughpinder

posted on 18/5/09 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
The Sylva riot has it in front of the passenger footwell, as you can make it shorter than the drivers side as you dont need extra space there for pedals/brake master cylinders etc...

Regards
Hugh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.