Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: whats its worth??? mev rocket project
pocket rocket

posted on 9/8/09 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
whats its worth??? mev rocket project

I know no one likes these 'whats it worth' posts (me included) as an item is only worth what someone will pay for it but i would really like some peoples thoughts.

Iv been building my mev rocket on and off for 14 months now but due to the arrival of a new baby and extra work commitments im short on both time and money and iv made almost no progress for 2 months

I really wanted it finished ready for this summer (if you can call it that) but due to cost restraints this has been put back till next summer or even longer.

so far its up to the rolling chassis stage with all the engine electrics sorted the the 1.6 sigma engine all mounted up

it needs lighting set, exhaust, steering wheel and a number of small items like
dash board lights and some time spent etc to finish it off... i think about £500 to get it ready for IVA so £1000 ish to get it on the road.

the question is, if i have to sell it what do you think its worth???

its been fun to build and it will be a shame not to see it through till the end after the amount of time and money iv spent on it but needs must.

many thanks guys.
Phil.

Dam...iv consused my ability with my intentions!

zilspeed

posted on 9/8/09 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
No progress for 2 months ?

And you think that's a problem ?

Seriously dude, chill out.

a 2 month break is no more than a tea break in the grand scheme of things.

I'll confess straight up to more than one of those - usually in times of tightened purse strings.
What am I going to do about it though ?
Flogging it unfinished is not an option, that's throwing money away.

If you're able to hurry up and finish it, fine.

If you're not, that's still fine. Take your time and finish it.

WHENEVER.

Staple balls

posted on 9/8/09 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
This ^

Mine sat untouched for 4-odd years waiting for money to build up and interest to return.

Month or 2 off here and there isn't a massive setback.

big_wasa

posted on 9/8/09 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Your not on your own, when I changed my job three years ago I shut the garage door for over a year.
tomgregory2000

posted on 9/8/09 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
i left mine for 2 years
well worth finishing it off, no other feeling like it

scootz

posted on 9/8/09 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but I would only sell it if you REALLY needed ready cash... !

You'll know what its cost you and you'll want to get as close to that figure as you can... in my experience, you won't get anywhere near that figure!

I know... it's not logical - I bought the kit, have built most of it and added loads of expensive bits. It must be worth AT LEAST what I've put into it!

I've been caught out by that logic a few times... and I've probably still not learned my lesson!

I've had to break 'part-builds' down to individual components to get back a few quid!

I hope I'm wrong and that someone will snap it off your hands at a decent price, but for me - again, unless you REALLY need the cash - hold onto it!

Spend a weekend preparing it for storage and then just let it be. Use your spare cash / time to raise Junior and revisit it when things settle down.

As you said... it's worth what someones willing to pay - I suspect that will not be a lot at this particular time.

Anyway... hope I haven't depressed you too much and I genuinly do hope that whatever you choose to do works out in you and your family's best interest!

BenB

posted on 9/8/09 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yup. Wouldn't bother selling it unless you really need the £.

I think I had a six month break at one point. Best thing I ever did. Went from seeing building the car as a chore to developing new-found enthusiasm... Don't think I've touched it at all in the last 3 months. Although admittidly for the last six weeks this is because my mates 997 Convertible hardtop is balancing on top of it making going for a drive rather tricky!!!!

02GF74

posted on 9/8/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
You'll know what its cost you and you'll want to get as close to that figure as you can... in my experience, you won't get anywhere near that figure!

indeed , in fact even when finished, it is unlikely you will get back all thecash you put into it .... but then we don't build them to become rich.

as ^^^ say, if you need the cash, then sell.

if you ever feel the need to return to kit cars, there are loads for sale all the time ... in the end it is only money - time with the family is more important,

Paul (Notts)

posted on 9/8/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
put a cover over it and forget about it for a couple of years...

dont sell, you will never get the chance agian as the little one grows up and takes all your cash.

Paul

lotusmadandy

posted on 9/8/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Defo keep it,you will regret selling.

Andy

pocket rocket

posted on 10/8/09 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your comments guys
I think you may all be right, i would be gutted to get rid and although there is still a chance this will have to happen... if not i guess there is no harm in taking a brake for a bit.

Dam...iv consused my ability with my intentions!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.