Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 20v 4age advice
blockhead_rich

posted on 5/11/09 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
20v 4age advice

Hi, I'm in the process of swapping my old 16v 4age to a 20v 4age unit and want to know what air filters people have used and where is the best place to get them from ("locost" of course)?

Also, does any one know of UK part No.s for the cam and alternator belts & cheap suppliers for these (and I know all about RAW & Fensport) before they are suggested!

Rich

rick q

posted on 5/11/09 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a Silvertop with standard ECU, you have to run the airbox and something like a pod filter.

If, like me, you're running an aftermarket ECU on the Silvertop, or you're using the Blacktop, they can be made to run with open trumpets [great sound].

Initially I ran with 4 socks hanging out the side of the bonnet but that was too loud for the local track so I've ended up fabricating an airbox which has one side as a simple flat foam filter drawing through a bonnet scoop.

Much cheaper doing it that way than going for a Pipercross / ITG filter and you can probably make it so it fits under your bonnet.

If you want, message me with your email, and I'll send back some photos. I'll send a file with the Part Numbers as well - sometimes you can be lucky enough to get them direct from Toyota [over here at least].

Worzey

posted on 5/11/09 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've got upgraded cams in mine - got them from BPJ Services - also have the old cams going spare - they are worn but still in good order.

I got trumpets from BPJ as shown in my avatar. Sounds fantastic.

Currently dyno'd at 192Bhp

Should also mention I've got a carbon fibre airbox that I've never fitted - not sure I will now so if you want it U2U me and I'll send you some pictures.

[Edited on 5-11-2009 by Worzey]

Caterham R400

westy turbo

posted on 6/11/09 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
which is better,silver or black top,(mate of mine asks)
Sven

posted on 7/11/09 at 01:29 AM Reply With Quote
Define better? The blacktop has a gnats ass more power, but usually costs quite a bit more.

-Steve

"Lightheadedness through quickness"

bimbleuk

posted on 7/11/09 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
I've got both and the blacktop is all round a better and more refined engine. The internals are lighter and so is the flywheel if you are lucky enough to get one (most seem to be autos). The head flows better especially on the exhaust side and the compression is 11:1 as apposed to 10.5:1 on the silvertop.

So they generally produce about 10-15 BHP more than the silvertop with a bit more torque and peak power is around 400 RPM higher.

So in my opinion they are worth the extra cost. However I've used the silvertop engine as a base for supercharging as the rods are stronger. The standard pistons are a bit weak though so worth chucking in the 8.9:1 GZE pistons at £150 a set.

westy turbo

posted on 7/11/09 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.