Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - house wiring
pdm

posted on 5/1/10 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
OT - house wiring

Morning all,

I'm hoping that someone on here will know the answer to this...

My house is 8 years old and has a concrete screed floor.

My question is which way are the wires normally run through the wall for plugs and lights both up and downstairs ?

thanks
Paul

locoluego

posted on 5/1/10 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
all houses follow the same rule solid floors wires come down wood floors wires go up all of your wiring will come down the wall probably between the plaster board and the breeze block with a metal conduit cover or they will be chased in to the block
pdm

posted on 5/1/10 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one - I knew this was the place for the answer to a practical question.

Thanks.

big-vee-twin

posted on 5/1/10 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Same for your water and Radiators

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

nick205

posted on 5/1/10 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Have you had the house from new? If not then it's worth remembering that previous owners/occupiers may have added to or changed the wiring - people don't always do this properly as I have learnt the hard way (electrocuted ).

Also, a digitial stud/pipe/wire finder is not expensive and can be very useful for checking where things are before drilling holes, cutting plaster etc.

Finally, house electrics are now covered by Part P rules. I'm not an expert (there are qualified and experienced people on the forum though) but there are legal rules on what you can and can't add or change without requiring test and certification from a qualified electrician.

Howlor

posted on 5/1/10 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I am sure I have seen cables run diagonally on a new build we looked around.

That could be interesting!

skinned knuckles

posted on 5/1/10 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
the rules are to run wires vertically down the walls and through the joist cavity in the floor above. they should be chased in to the walls protected. before being plastered over.

but unless you are completely certain of where they are you can buy a detecter from any DIY store that will detect where the wires are. they will also tell you where the water pipes are and some will even show you where the studs are.

most regestered sparks will have installed thing properly but you never know how who has done any bodging since. spend the couple of quid on the detector, its never nice being zapped and a real pain in the bum when you hit a central heating pipe.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

SteveWalker

posted on 5/1/10 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Howlor

I think that has always been allowed, as long as the cable is physically protected by steel conduit or similar, otherwise it's a strict no-no.

big-vee-twin

posted on 5/1/10 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
There are zones for wiring stipulated in the wiring regs which are vertical and horizontal.

But like previous who knows what people do in their own homes

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Bluemoon

posted on 5/1/10 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Don't trust it's done as it should be... Check as well..

Dan

pdm

posted on 5/1/10 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Great thanks everyone woh replied - think I'll get one of those detectors !!! Better to be safe than sorry.
JoelP

posted on 5/1/10 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
Originally posted by Howlor

I think that has always been allowed, as long as the cable is physically protected by steel conduit or similar, otherwise it's a strict no-no.

Aye, if its in its safe zone its ok, if not then it needs to be more than 50mm deep or in earthed armoured conduit. With the 17th it also needs an RCD if not in the aforementioned conduit.

Very few sparks would run stuff diagonally just because it looks like a bodge.

dhutch

posted on 5/1/10 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, as said, deviation from that is uncommon.

In otherwords, in a bog std house, 90% of the wiring is in the joist space between the ground and first floor. With lighting for the first floor run in the attic space.

My uncals house also had its ground floor rads plumbing run in the floor screed. This was true for all the street, which all failed at around 30years (thats 70's building for you) but it is uncommon.

Metal detectors can be useful, but the £5 ones are useless, so if you doing much at all spend a little more. We have a a £30 one and its quite usable with a bit of practice.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.