Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crash damaged kit as donor
richwill

posted on 18/11/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Crash damaged kit as donor

If i were to buy a crash damaged kit car ( cat C ) and took all the parts from it and put them on a new chassis would this be legal.Would the crashed car be considered a donor and what implications are there in registering it.
blakep82

posted on 18/11/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
if the parts you replace are identical, not just as in a 7 chassis, but the same model of chassis from the same manufacturer as the original, then i beleive you won't need to re IVA. if you can't get an exact replacement, then you'll have to re iva i think. there's a lot more to it really, but thats the cut down version

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mark chandler

posted on 18/11/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
CAT C is damaged repairable so just repair I recon.

A these things are really very simple I would look at stripping down, strapping to a flat table and replace the bent bits, it cannot be horribly bent if a CAT C, this would make it a CAT D

pekwah1

posted on 18/11/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
surely if you are putting parts on a 'new' chassis then it would need to be re-registered and probably iva'd assuming the chassis it's going on isn't already iva'd?
wylliezx9r

posted on 18/11/10 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cat D is the least amount of damage for a car to be written off ie panel damage or flood damage etc. Cat c is a write off due to chassis damage but is still repairable I believe a cat b is never allowed back on the road due to the extent of the damage.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/11/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
People get confused over cats

Cat D The value of the repair is less than the value of the vehicle, but when added to the salvage value renders the repair uneconomic

Cat C The value of the repair exceeds the value of the vehicle.(Nothing more nothing less)

Cat B The damage to the vehicle renders it unsafe to be returned to the road - but still has residual value, break only.

Cat A The vehicle has no appreciable residual value - burn out etc

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

dilley

posted on 18/11/10 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
CAT C is damaged repairable so just repair I recon.

A these things are really very simple I would look at stripping down, strapping to a flat table and replace the bent bits, it cannot be horribly bent if a CAT C, this would make it a CAT D

If it was really bad it would be a cat B, break only,.

dilley

posted on 18/11/10 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Too late, should have read it all first!
adithorp

posted on 18/11/10 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
surely if you are putting parts on a 'new' chassis then it would need to be re-registered and probably iva'd assuming the chassis it's going on isn't already iva'd?

No, if you rebuild usind a replacement, identical chassis or body shell you can transfer the chassis number to the new chassis and then it just requires a DVLA identity check.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ed1801

posted on 19/11/10 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Exactly - my 12 year old fazer motorbike became cat c after some numpty knocked it over outside my house.

The only damage was some scratches to panels, exhaust and pegs - but to replace these parts with new was more than the 700 odd quid bike was worth. So very little damage but still Cat C. I just ride around on a scratched bike

If it was an almost brand new car that was cat C it is completely different - what damage would you have to do to Cat C a 30 grand car - it's got to be pretty wrecked!

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
People get confused over cats

Cat D The value of the repair is less than the value of the vehicle, but when added to the salvage value renders the repair uneconomic

Cat C The value of the repair exceeds the value of the vehicle.(Nothing more nothing less)

Cat B The damage to the vehicle renders it unsafe to be returned to the road - but still has residual value, break only.

Cat A The vehicle has no appreciable residual value - burn out etc

[Edited on 19/11/10 by ed1801]

loggyboy

posted on 19/11/10 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
It would likely come under the the principles of the points system.

Allocating a vehicle registration mark:
The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA), enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated.

So obviously you would need a 'new' chassis, but it could be from any manufactuer.

The following values will be allocated to the major components used:
chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points
suspension = 2 points
axles = 2 points
transmission = 2 points
steering assembly = 2 points
engine = 1 point

So you would get your 8 points from retaining the above items and therefore you could keep the reg and no need for IVA etc.

[Edited on 19/11/10 by loggyboy]

interestedparty

posted on 19/11/10 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
BEar in mind that if you do retain the original registration, it will STILL be a CAT C vehicle, even after it is repaired and had the VIC check, so that is obviously going to have an effect on its resale value, if that is an issue

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

TPG

posted on 19/11/10 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
BEar in mind that if you do retain the original registration, it will STILL be a CAT C vehicle, even after it is repaired and had the VIC check, so that is obviously going to have an effect on its resale value, if that is an issue

That's it in a nut shell.Think of it as reshelling a tintop.VIC check etc,resale value.

..Which was nice..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.