Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help - no spark
Bass1st

posted on 13/2/11 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Help - no spark

Running a 4age with a Omex 150. I tried starting it up but I get no spark at the plugs. Changed the plugs, leads and coil. Dizzy looks fine and is rotating. My guess it is the crank sensor that has gone, but does anyone know how I can test it? Its the magnetic type (2 pins) and supplied from Omex. I have checked the cable and the sensor gap and it seems fine. Anything else I can look at?
Rosco

posted on 14/2/11 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure how to test the pick up but you could check whether the injectors are firing - if they are then the crank sensor is probably OK.

I had a similar problem getting my 4AGE to run on an OMEX600 first time but it turned out to be the power connection to it the OMEX was wrong - so if this is a first start check for the simple things first.

Bass1st

posted on 20/2/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
With the help of Andy from Omex I did some troubleshooting over the weekend. After connecting my laptop to the ECU I could see that the crank sensor was working. When the car turns over I got a 100 rpm reading in the software from the senor, so it proves this is working. The Omex 150 has two ignition trigger circuits so Andy suggested swapping them over. Unfortunately only one was wired up, so I thought I would try and remove the connector insert from the plug and move it. Disaster!! The wire snapped and now I can't get the insert out!! I reckon this could have been the root cause as it broke really easily. It could have been a dry joint.

Any ideas how these little buggers come out or even better where I might get a new insert from?

Here are the pics (sorry for the poor quality).

[Edited on 20/2/11 by Bass1st]

adithorp

posted on 20/2/11 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
The terminals have a little tang on the side that stops it coming back out of the block. You can push a thin tool up one of the holes (side opposite the wires) and release the tang. It'll either come out first try or after a lot of fiddling

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Bass1st

posted on 20/2/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I tried!! The thing will not come out!!
adithorp

posted on 20/2/11 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Try pushing the terminal IN while trying it release the tang then pull... They can be a bitch though. If it wont come out can you put a new terminal on the wire and use it in the other hole that you were initially intending to switch it to?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Bass1st

posted on 20/2/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I tried for 30 mins to get the thing out... trouble is I am worried about knackering up the connector. Ideally I would like a new insert and as you suggest, will solder it up to the existing wire. Trouble is where do I get one from?? I have emailed Omex and hope they can help.
omega 24 v6

posted on 20/2/11 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
You need to push BOTH tangs in at the same time to remove the terminal. Either bend one side in with a jewellers screwdriver and then the other OR a bit of welding wire (1mm ) with a kink on it or a 1/th rivet with a kink on it will work as well.

When you get the terminal out I MIGHT be able to help you out ( need to see it first in a picture ).
Are there any other markings on the plastic plug??

terminals will look something like this

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/connectors/photo/192175.jpg

[Edited on 20/2/11 by omega 24 v6]

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Bass1st

posted on 20/2/11 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
I did use some wire, both sides at the same time but did not budge. Might try again when I get the chance.

No markings on the connector, other than the numbers to indicate the pin positions. Based on the photo I would say they are identical. I did measure the inserts - 2 cm long (or as near as damn it). If yours are this size then can a have a couple from you?

Al

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.