Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Drive shafts
Gary 7

posted on 13/9/11 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Drive shafts

I have a pair of push in drive shafts ,going to remove the diff end of the shaft and fit a lobro joint so i can run an lsd and retain the drums.I have seen it done by a few on here, but before i do it just wondered if anyone had any problems with joint wear or other issues by running the shafts this way . The link below is an old thread on the subject

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=93484

probablyleon

posted on 15/9/11 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in a similar / same boat. My car currently has an open 3.62 7" sierra diff with push in shafts fitted but I've recently bought a 3.38 lsd that will need bolt on shafts. Anyone one here able to suggest the best company to modify my push in drive shafts?
JimM

posted on 20/11/11 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hybrid options -

I'm now ready to do the swap but still looking for some info on the problem with possible joint wear or other issues by running the shafts this way .

I sent a U2U to one of the previous builders but never received a reply.

So ... all you folks out there that have done the hybrid options please take a few minutes and reply.

1. Did you have problems with joint wear?
2. If so how many miles done before problems surface?
3. What is required to fix the problem? (easy repair?)
4. Would you do the same swap or go disc option now you have had a few miles under your belt.

Come on ... someone must be able to reply to these questions ....

Ta
Jim.

Rob Allison

posted on 21/11/11 at 02:44 AM Reply With Quote
There is no joint wear problems. Apart from the fact the parts are already 20years old. Know a few running this i there sierras fine.
You just need to check the shafts are the right size to fit the new cv's. older drum axles can have smaller shafts that dont fit the bolt on cv's

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.