Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My first foray into the ether.... criticisms please.
beagley

posted on 9/5/12 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
My first foray into the ether.... criticisms please.

Well, I finally felt like I got my new hobby to a point of putting out there for the world. I've been teaching myself CSS and ASP .NET lately and felt that I should combine two of my other hobbies to help. So I present....

Auto-Math-Geek

Please offer up any comments and/or advice/criticisms for me. I'm always up for making improvements. I'm not much on creating the style of a web site so I feel that is where I need most of the help. I do know that the "real world" development environment purposefully keeps the data away from the style so that is what I tried emulate as I built the site. There are only a couple of functional pages available now, but I'll be starting the other sections in the next few days. A little hard to do with only 90 minutes a day during the week, but I figured I would make my lunches useful.

Anyway.... everyone, get your knives out and dice away.

Beags

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

blakep82

posted on 9/5/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
i broke it already

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: row
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: row

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: row]
System.Data.DataRowExtensions.Field(DataRow row, String columnName) +23463
beagley.BasicFormulas.Pages.FormulasBasic.dropdownlist_engine_selector_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\beagley\beagley\Pages\StandardFormulas\FormulasBasic.aspx.cs:175
System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListControl.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e) +118
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList.RaisePostDataChangedEvent() +143
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList.System.Web.UI.IPostBackDataHandler.RaisePostDataChangedEvent() +10
System.Web.UI.Page.RaiseChangedEvents() +134
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5201

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

all i did was went to basic formulas, selected engine (2.0 duratec) and saw it filled in some info, but i didn't want that info, so i selected 'select an engine' and went to chage the bore figure, and got the message above

edit: and now i've gone through for 86x86 tried changine bore to 87, it won't give me any answers to anything now.

I like it though, i'd never have thought a piston would travel at 19 meters per second, so theres some fascinating stuff in there (and i've only seen a tiny bit) but it is quite glitchy

[Edited on 9/5/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

SeanStone

posted on 9/5/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
A good one on there to have would be trumpet length calculator so you can see how many times you get the optimum torque/power from the pulse wave effect!
flibble

posted on 9/5/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
As far as 'style' and a 'proffesional look' it looks spot on to me, good work!
NeilP

posted on 9/5/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ Second that. Really clean and professional look to it.

I'd get the folks on here to give you ideas for equations - that'll keep you busy to 2064...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

beagley

posted on 9/5/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i broke it already

all i did was went to basic formulas, selected engine (2.0 duratec) and saw it filled in some info, but i didn't want that info, so i selected 'select an engine' and went to chage the bore figure, and got the message above

That you did.... I've uploaded the correction for that condition. Thanks for finding it, as a developer I've found that I rarely think of all the ways that a user will input the data.

quote:
edit: and now i've gone through for 86x86 tried changine bore to 87, it won't give me any answers to anything now.

I'll look into that, but whenever those are changed it causes whats called a PostBack event which basically sends something to the server which then comes back to the main page. If you simply click the buttons again it will use your new data. I think I will store the current tables and leave them in place when a value is changed unless a button is clicked.

quote:
I like it though, i'd never have thought a piston would travel at 19 meters per second, so theres some fascinating stuff in there (and i've only seen a tiny bit) but it is quite glitchy

[Edited on 9/5/12 by blakep82]

Yes, it is quite glitchy Thanks for your input.

quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
A good one on there to have would be trumpet length calculator so you can see how many times you get the optimum torque/power from the pulse wave effect!

I will add that to the "Ultimate Nerd" section My goal is to programmatically build a graphic of the sine waves for the piston's position, velocity, and acceleration based on those parameters.

Thanks for the input all!

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 9/5/12 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good to me.

Got me thinking that with 64 bit windows now being common place, the good old gearcalc program is more and more difficult to run. How about a web page to do he same?

beagley

posted on 9/5/12 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xtreme Kermit
Looks good to me.

Got me thinking that with 64 bit windows now being common place, the good old gearcalc program is more and more difficult to run. How about a web page to do he same?

It may be a while, but I'll see what I can crank out. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Beags

mads

posted on 10/5/12 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
as above, it's crisp and clean. not had too much of a play but one thing i noticed was your contact page - could do with a proper contact form?

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.