Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: what fitment and size of wheels do i need?
mads

posted on 5/7/12 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
what fitment and size of wheels do i need?

Evening all,
Am in process of sorting myself out with some wheels. I like the look of the TD Pro 1.2's or the Compomotive CXR1361 or CXR1380.

I am going to go for 13" wheels but wondered what fitment I need? I am running Wilwood Powerlites all round.

Also, should I get slightly wider ones for the back or stick to the same size all the way round? And what size should I be looking at anyway to make sure they fit under the arches?

Thanks all,

mads

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

daniel mason

posted on 5/7/12 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
hi mads. what sort of power are you thinking of running? as this may determine tyre width. also id reccomend NOT to over tyre the car. id start by looking at most caterhams, they seem to run 175-185 fronts on a 6"rim and 195-215 rear on an 8" rim i think. my 13" r500 wheels are 6" fronts 8" rears.
id say for the majority of installs a 185/60/13 front 205/60/13 rear would be a good place to start

mads

posted on 5/7/12 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Daniel,

In terms of power I am using a 07 R1 with a 3.38 LSD diff so will have stock power of 180bhp at fly.

mads

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

PAUL FISHER

posted on 5/7/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
As Daniel says 185 60 13 fronts and 205 60 13 rear would be a good set up, 6" fronts in the CXR's and 7" rears, but I don't think pro race do 6" wide 13", so you may have to go 7" all round, you require ET 35 on the Indy R with a 7" rim in a standard arch
mads

posted on 5/7/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Paul. What about if I am getting the 6 inch compomotives?

[Edited on 5/7/12 by mads]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 5/7/12 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mads
Cheers Paul. What about if I am getting the 6 inch compomotives?

[Edited on 5/7/12 by mads]

Ive not fitted 6" wide rims on any of my Indys, but its not so much of a problem on the fronts, as you can just adjust your wing brackets to suit, its just that the wheels have got to look right, ie the dish on the wheel rim's front and rear, with the standard rear arch on the Indy and a 7" rim 35 et is about as much as you can go on the back, so for the wheels to look right you would have to go for a 6" ET 22 on the front. But MK now supply extra wide rear arches as fitted to there race cars, thats the route I would go if I was building another Indy, then you can fit a 7" or even a 8" wide rim with a nice deep dish, the look so much better, as the CXR in ET 35 look very flat, there's not alot of a dish to them, but the pro race ones on the other hand, due to there design, look ok in a 7" ET 35
It might be a good idea to ring Danny at MK, they supply both CXR's and Pro race 1's, and will be able to advise you on options and sizes available

steve m

posted on 5/7/12 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO 7" rims front and back is not suitable for a light car
I run 205/55/13 on 7" all four of them, and in the wet, the car is virtually undriveable

I am planning on reducing to 6" rims with 185/55/13, at least on the front
plus my car is a Car engined car, and still light, but not as light as a BEC

Just my opinion

steve

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.