Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scrapping a car V's stripping it first
Westy1994

posted on 27/3/13 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Scrapping a car V's stripping it first

As I now plan to use the engine from the old tintop for the 7 at some point, it leaves me with the rest of the car to dispose of, I have checked online and can get almost £200 for it (as long as the car is complete) as soon as I remove any parts the quoted price drops, so has anyone had a scrap car that they have broken themselves and sold on the internet or wherever and then wished you had just sold the car as one complete item.

I am trying to maximise costs but have to offset that with the added effort and inevitable hassles selling parts online.

What would you do?, sell as scrap (minus the motor) or break it myself?.

The scrap company I refer to is cartakebackdotcom , who appear to want the car in one piece?

"

The quote we give is based on a complete vehicle and that’s with all of the parts in the vehicle including the engine, gearbox, catalytic coverter, wheels etc.

You will need to discuss a price with a local operator if you choose to accept as they can give you the final price they will pay for a vehicle that is incomplete.

Any questions please get in touch.

Best Regards"

[Edited on 27/3/13 by Westy1994]

sdh2903

posted on 27/3/13 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I stripped myself, sold everything on eBay. at the time the going rate was 100 for the car. I sold all the surplus bits, interior, wheels then cut the shell up and weighed it in myself. I think i got 75 quid for the metal. It can be a hassle though especially with all the timewasters on eBay and the Mrs wasnt happy with the driveway looking like a scrappys

Definitely worth doing if you can be arsed. Obviously depends on the car your stripping aswell

ReMan

posted on 27/3/13 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
When I scrapped my Saab earlier this year a weigh in yard localy estimated £150.brought to them
I actually sold it for £200 less the battery and tow bar to a breaker who picked it up. Hassel free
Baring in mind it needed a new engine and turbo and the panels wrere all dented from hailstones I was happy.
If it was in better nick, then I wwould have broke it and got a weigh in srappper to pick up the remains for a better £outcom

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Westy1994

posted on 27/3/13 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, not to worried about the state of the drive whilst I strip it, but these car scrapping companies appear to want the car in full, I assume then they strip it themselves and gain the cash that I would have got instead. As for the car model, yes that is a good point, I will have to see what is selling on the net and have a good think, its just a 1995 Volvo Estate, so not a lot of call for those these days.
Benzine

posted on 27/3/13 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I take stripped cars to the local metal yard who weigh it in in whatever state. Last time I weighed a volvo estate in that didn't have and engine and gearbox I got about £160 (although I did put a bit of scrap steel in the boot)
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Westy1994

posted on 27/3/13 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I have just done a Fleabay search and the alloys alone are up for £130 for 4, wether they actually sell for that is another matter, but I will keep an eye on the bidding. This could be a long slog, but if it means gaining as much value from the car then I will do it.

You could put quite a lot of scrap steel in the back of an estate, perhaps the whole car if it was in bits, lol...

ETA - sometime later....

As an update and as info for others.

Regarding the company I mentioned above, after many many emails, it now transpires that they want you to commit to an agreement before telling you how much the car is worth minus some bits, so you have to effectively sell them your car without knowing what its worth . It goes without saying I wont be doing this, you can sell the car in one piece and get the price quoted, but take some bits off it, and well it's anyone's guess and as you had agreed to part with it then its tough on you it seems.

I suspect they are not alone in this either, they appear be be agents that simply 'sell' the details of your sale onto your local breaker and as such the car gets stripped there.

A very bizarre way to do buisness I would say.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 27/3/13 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I stripped a pair of MX5's kept the engines gearboxes hubs uprights wheels. Sold bits of trim seats wing mirrors etc and easily made my outlay back. I did get the cars very cheap however.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Westy1994

posted on 27/3/13 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Well I know what I'm doing this summer ( if we ever get one !), I can use a fair amount of bits on the 7 after some thought, the rest can be sold or scrapped as needed. Hey ho, bring on the warm weather.
loggyboy

posted on 27/3/13 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I shreaded my sierra donor before christmas (and with a load of other metal) got nearly £400. I would say atleast £150 of that was just the sierra.
I still have a few parts left to sell on ebay once ive decided if I will use them or go for brand new stuff for the kit, (things switch gear, front hubs, front and rear brakes, gearbox, steels etc). I paid £230 for the car and have already made back the majority of that, so anthing else I sell will be profit.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.