Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kitchen electrics info needed please ?
big_wasa

posted on 7/6/14 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Kitchen electrics info needed please ?

Question) As a kitchen is deemed a special place and electrical work is considered reportable under building regs and needs to be done or at least signed of by some one that is part P. What is considered reportable ? ie can I wire in a new cooker, I understand that they where going to adjust the regs to allow minor work like this. Have they ?

I wont be changing or upgrading any circuits, the new appliance will be only moving one unit over and the cable will be clipped along the wall. The cable and mcb are well with in spec of the new cooker.

I need to keep with in the law as the property is on the market, I cant blag the install pre dates part P as we are doing the work as a selling point. Any one up to date on the regs please ?

gaz05

posted on 7/6/14 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
When you say wire in a new cooker, do you mean just connecting to the tails from the cooker to the outlet on the wall. If so then I would guess it's not covered by Part P. However if you alter the wiring to the outlet then it probably is part P.

Been a while since I was involved in the Part P scam so don't quote me on it.

big-vee-twin

posted on 7/6/14 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
So if your moving it over - you leave the outlet where it is and put a longer flex on the cooker.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Slimy38

posted on 7/6/14 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
We redid our kitchen when we had an extension built, well within the Part P regs timescales. The sparky did his bit up to the wall outlet, and he left us alone to fit the oven. To be honest, the gas hob was more of a pain, I'd only plugged in the ignition circuit but the gas guy insisted on seeing a permanent ignition source before he'd sign it off. I didn't even think a gas fitter would be reviewing the electrics.

I don't even remember anything on the paperwork that mentions appliances, just talks about the various rings, spurs, etc.

big_wasa

posted on 7/6/14 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yep not rewiring the house, outlet plate and isolating switch will be untouched. Just a new set of tails an extra 600mm to a new cooker.

3 wires sounds daft doesn't it no harder than sticking a new plug on a kettle. If we wasn't advertising it, I wouldn't have even thought about it but as we are I just wanted to make sure I am with in the law.
I wanted to wire a separate garage consumer unit with a dedicated 300ma rcd for the two inverters on my lathe but that's well out of the question.

I do understand the need for competence. I've seen some criminal wiring bodges over the years.

big-vee-twin

posted on 8/6/14 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Appliances not covered in thevregs. Just do it don't worry.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

big_wasa

posted on 8/6/14 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks
matt_claydon

posted on 8/6/14 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
The rules changed in 2013, very little work is now notifiable. See page 14 of the Part P document:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

The only notifiable work is:

Installation of a new circuit
Replacement of consumer unit
Alterations to existing circuits in 'special locations'.

Special locations are now limited to the area immediately around a bath/shower, and any room containing a swimming pool or sauna.

Not being notifiable doesn't remove the need carry out all work according to the regulations.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.