Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SatNav advice
chris68

posted on 24/10/15 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
SatNav advice

Hi guys,

This is kit car related but just wanted some advice please.

Some while ago I bought one of those StarCom intercom units designed for a motorbike which I am going to set up in the SR2. Now I want to get a SatNav and need one with an audio out so I can use it, however all the motorbike units seem to have this facility for obvious reasons but are alot more expensive than regular car types so my question is does anyone have a SatNav designed for a car that has audio out?

I want a unit I can swap between the kit and regular tintop.

Cheers

JoelP

posted on 24/10/15 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Standard android satnav app will read directions to you, including road names. Just use headphones. Not easy when you can't see the pictures though.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

SteveWalker

posted on 24/10/15 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
My old Garmin Nuvi has audio out (and very politely pauses music playback when it wants to give a direction). Whether the newer models have it I don't know.
blakep82

posted on 24/10/15 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
7 year old Garmin one had an audio out, new one doesn't

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ragindave

posted on 24/10/15 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Co pilot android or apple one payment buys licence no mobile data connection required as it downloads maps onto your device and works the same as a gps you can use a phone or tablet hard wire headphones or blue tooth I use sports head phone with built in blue tooth UK and Ireland map pack was 15.99 when on special offer updates are free best value for money sat nav solution for bikes and kit cars
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 24/10/15 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
a pretty cheap (4.99) one that will let you use garmin gpx waypoints is

Android OsmAnd+

this is also offline maps so no data required when on the go.

I have tried it in france using waypoints and did work. Have to say was a backup to my tomtom, but I am looking into using a tablet with tunerstudio or the like as my dash with this available as part of the screen)

can't remember if copilot lets you use waypoints, or tyre to plan a route and save it to it.

[Edited on 24/10/15 by Chris_Xtreme]

[Edited on 24/10/15 by Chris_Xtreme]

coozer

posted on 24/10/15 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
My Snooper nav has a FM output so if yours has FM radio you can tune in...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Ben_Copeland

posted on 25/10/15 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a smart phone use 'Waze' app. It's the best satnav system out there, most update traffic, maps etc. You can use the headphone out.

Oh and it's free

[Edited on 25/10/15 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

ianhurley20

posted on 25/10/15 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I use Navmii on my android phone, its free as well and you can run audio by lead or by bluetooth and it has maps worldwide (to keep it completely free you have to reload the app with a new country otherwise a very small charge for each country). If you want to pay you can download extras such as different voices although who would want Stephen Fry is beyond me ;-)

SJ

posted on 25/10/15 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Here maps on android is great.
David Jenkins

posted on 25/10/15 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I tried using various apps on Android - I gave up because (1) I couldn't get a signal a lot of the time, and (2) the phone got very hot when left on for a long time.

(1) can be solved by downloading maps - if you're that organised and REALLY SURE that you know the route you're taking.
(2) I solved this by using the phone as a wifi hotspot and running the software on my tablet - but the phone still got uncomfortably warm.

It's hard to beat a dedicated satnav, but they shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to updates and new maps. I planned to use my satnav in Australia by updating the map, but it would have cost me £120. I bought a brand-new basic satnav in Oz for under £50, and since then I've used it again twice. The Oz satnav (Navman) is much better than my UK Garmin!

Note: the last straw in Oz was when I tried to use phone navigation to get out of central Sydney towards the suburb my daughter lives in: after going through the same tunnel 3 times (with a toll each time!) I was determined to get a proper satnav! It just couldn't handle losing signal in a tunnel mid-route. It also tried to place me in an adjacent road all the time, which made directions... interesting.

[Edited on 25/10/15 by David Jenkins]

ianhurley20

posted on 25/10/15 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps I had better make one comment about the last post. Navmii uses downloaded maps, no need for a signal

MikeR

posted on 25/10/15 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Waze is supposed to be good - but do a search for security concerns.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.