Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW K1200S; nice donor?
Mave

posted on 20/12/04 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
BMW K1200S; nice donor?

I was just browsing through some motorcycle mag, and came across a technical article about the BMW K1200S.

It seems like a very interesting donor: 167 bhp, 130 Nm, 81,9 kg (including 'box), propshaft, comes with dry-sump, very low due to angle of cylinders (55 degree).

Oh, and for LHD cars; the engine is largely on the right hand side of the car!

Might be a bit expensive now, but maybe it makes for an interesting donor in two years?!?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 20/12/04 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
My dad is thinking of getting one of these.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Smooth Torquer

posted on 20/12/04 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
K100

Hi there,

I was going to use a K100 engine as my donor but once all the fairings were off and we could measure it, we discovered that it would be very tight in my (book) chassis.

And due to the shape on the back of the gearbox it would need a wider transmission tunnel to fit.

The K1200 might fit better, but I think that BMW haven’t really changed the external dimensions very much.

The other difficulty we encountered was its hard to find a diff with the right kind of ratio.

Get in touch with the guys at ADR, they use K engines in their cars, and were helpful when I spoke to them.

ADR link

Hope this helps

Sam

CooperLight

posted on 20/12/04 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
great tourque numbers ! and drysumped .

Smooth Torquer: what do you mean with "hard to find a diff with the right kind of ratio"
How is it different to other engines R1, blade etc ?

zilspeed

posted on 20/12/04 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CooperLight
great tourque numbers ! and drysumped .
Smooth Torquer: what do you mean with "hard to find a diff with the right kind of ratio"
How is it different to other engines R1, blade etc ?

I'll butt in here if I may.
R1 and blade engines rev to eleventeen zillion RPM and so the whole drivetrain cna live with a car diff and still have a sensible top speed.
The BMW will have a good 2-3000 lower red line and a consequently lower top speed.

It may not make much difference around the lanes, but on a track, you could find yourself running out of revs half way up the main straight.

phelpsa

posted on 20/12/04 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Red lines at 10000rpm

Most screaming bike engines have a primary reduction of about 1.5:1, which increases torque and decreases rpm.

Adam

Smooth Torquer

posted on 21/12/04 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
CooperLight I was saying that it was an issue when using the K100 engine, as I was going to. The K100 engine revs to 8500, lower than R1 and Blade engines.

iirc the gear ratios in its box are quite different to jap bikes, and so to get any sensible top end speed for comfortable road or track use a diff ratio of about 2.7:1 would be needed.

Sam

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.