Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pekwah1's Second Sylva Striker
pekwah1

posted on 8/7/16 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Pekwah1's Second Sylva Striker

Hi Guys,

As i got told off for not putting anything in this part of the forum, i thought i'd add this topic which i'll plan to use as my build diary type thing.
This is the second Striker i've had now, had to sell the first one to a member on here (Ravingfool) due to job changes and not having any money which was heartbreaking for me, and as he won't sell it back to me, i had to find another one!

Just as a memory sake:

So the new car will also need an IVA (done it once before so hopefully will have a good idea of what needs doing this time around.
It's in pretty good shape, needs main attention around

- Engine - not been run in years and years
- Brakes - most likely need a full overhaul
- Wiring - most of the loom is there, just needs connecting up etc

Of course i'll be planning on doing a bit of a tear down and rebuild anyway to make sure things like the propshaft don't fall out, and all of this manky yellow needs to be gotten rid of!!

Pictures can talk for now:

Cheers,
Andy

loggyboy

posted on 8/7/16 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Nice colour - looks different being a full colour with classic 'triangle' skuttle that seems to be smoothed?

Mistral Motorsport

pekwah1

posted on 8/7/16 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, yeh it's not bad, has no lacquer at the moment though so that needs doing.
I was intending to make the sides black before i got it, but i think i might keep it all blue.
The scuttle is interesting, he has indeed smoothed the channels, so that rules out the standard screen or fly screen unless i'm going to get busy with the angry grinder.... Not sure what i'm going to do with that yet!

pekwah1

posted on 9/7/16 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Well had a busy evening last night and spent some time today on the car.

First job was to start taking things off, so engine, gearbox, and prop were out first:

All seem in reasonable condition, the gearstick seemed a bit off center, as in it doesn't sit between 3rd and 4th, but instead seems to sit inbetween 1st and 2nd, hopefully that's something simply but haven't really looked at it yet.

Also the brakes seemed to be sticking so thought i'd have a look at these, but unfortunately a rogue set of locking wheels nuts where stopping me in my tracks, nothing a socket and a hammer wouldn't sort out!

So stupidly i thought the brake system didn't have any fluid in, but as soon as the first caliper was taken off i ended up with brake fluid everywhere!! In any case, the front brakes seem spot on, just very rusty brake discs so just need a good seeing to:
Deciding whether to bother painting these or not, and if i am, what colour....

So moved onto the rear brakes, looks like the handbrake was the culprit as the cylinders were good, first side had no problems, but found the problem on the offside:

And then had fun fishing out the brake shoe spring locator thingies that i dropped in my oil collector:

I've decided i'm not too keen on the yellow either, so will be going through the car repainting these bits black.
Started with the roll bar and the suspension arms.

The car has a nice boot box install, it wasn't the prettiest though with all of the fibreglass bonding visible, nothing a can of matt black couldn't sort out!!! Forgot to take a picture of it before though which is annoying but never mind!

That's it for now, more to follow soon enough!

steve m

posted on 9/7/16 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
hi M8,

some good work, and some...............
only joking, I was out in my 7 earlier and nearly came over to your place to have a look,
I presume your in the same place ?

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

pekwah1

posted on 9/7/16 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh still here mate, feel free to pop over if you're in the area! Sure he missus would like you to take her out for a spin in a car that actually runs as well ;o)
steve m

posted on 9/7/16 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
and has a comfortable interior ??

im on an skcc run in the morning, but if have time will come over,

but have to be back early PM as have some dustbin duties to attend to

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

pekwah1

posted on 10/7/16 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Did some more today,

First of all an an IVA bit - the fuel line was a rubber hose the whole length of the car, this has now been removed and a proper pipe put in its place:

Cleaned up and painted the steering column:

Next was some more strip down and checking of parts, and at the same time getting the engine bay ready for painting, suspension arms also to be painted black:

Got a bit of play in the ball joints on the steering rack and the hub, so these will be replaced:

Just realised I don't have any paint left so that'll have to wait until I can be bothered to go and buy some more!

pekwah1

posted on 10/7/16 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Well i went and bought paint.....

Arms and steering rack now painted:

Then i got cracking on with the engine bay, pretty sure i've missed some bits, and yes i realise the scuttle area isn't done yet!

pekwah1

posted on 13/7/16 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
A bit more progress over the last couple of days....

Got the engine bay painted which has come up pretty good, obviously I still have some bits to finish off:

Then I thought I better do something about the disgusting brakes discs.
Went from this:

To this:

Just to try and make you feel sorry for me a little bit, not a power tool in sight!
Didn't have the will power to do the other side tonight though, gotta have something to look forward to!!!!

bi22le

posted on 13/7/16 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Is that interior rattle can'd? have you lacquered it and how confident are you that it will stay like that?

It looks looking completely different by the way. A million miles better.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

pekwah1

posted on 13/7/16 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
It is a rattle can job, and lacquered.
I'm not sure how long it will last, but we will see..... Just had to do something with it and powder coating just wasn't really feasible....

alfas

posted on 16/7/16 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
what a botch with this chassis paintjob. sorry for that harsh words, but can say it different.

why overpainting the yellow powdercoating, which was still in good nick, with black from a rattle can? and only in the visible area of the enginebay.

the car looked well and profesionally built...now this has changed...

[Edited on 16/7/16 by alfas]

pekwah1

posted on 16/7/16 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Well actually there was a fair few areas of the yellow that weren't in the best condition.
I also have not literally gone over straight with spray, it was all prepped first and etched etc.

I guess this is where different people have different opinions but personally I just really didn't like the yellow and this this is much better.
In terms of "visible bits of the engine bay", i don't follow completely but the rest of the chassis will also be done in time.

steve m

posted on 16/7/16 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Great to see my old M8 Andy, with his new car, and have to say, that it will look nice when finished
as for Alfa's pathetic comments, he has not got a clue what he is talking about, as the original yellow paint was not in a good condition, very flaky, and if nothing was done to it, would of peeled off all on its own leaving bare metal to go rusty

So Andy has done the right thing in flattening it all back, and putting some proper primer and top coat, then laquoring it

at least it will survive a few years on the road, as it wouldn't off if not painted or had any attention

steve

alfas

posted on 17/7/16 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
take the body and panels off and do it right...the result will make you happy and when it comes to selling the car you will also profit from that.

once the car is finished in the actual way, you will regret it not having it done right.

pekwah1

posted on 17/7/16 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
For someone who seems to have so much to say about everyone else's work, I'd love to see anything you've actually done.
I'm happy with it and quite frankly that's all that really matters, I'm not planning on selling in the future anyway.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 17/7/16 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for last comment , I can't believe this persons for real never has a positive comment about anything I think your doing a great job and I'm enjoying your progress keep up the good work
pekwah1

posted on 17/7/16 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers fella, it's a good forum this one and we're lucky that we don't get too many n*bs, but there'll always be a couple!
IMO, if someone's doing something wrong in term of their car, fair enough and let them know in a constructive way, nothing wrong with that, but some people are just asking for a slap!

steve m

posted on 17/7/16 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
How does the idiot alfas know the chassis was powdercoated ?

"why overpainting the yellow powdercoating, which was still in good nick, "

as I am no expert, but from what andy and I picked off the chassis yesterday, looked like yellow gloss paint, on metal
no primer, and most definitely no powdercoating
and 100% was NOT in good nick

steve

pekwah1

posted on 17/7/16 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Haha come on steve.... Stop dissing the new kit lol!!!!
Anyway, you'll be pleased to know I've done some more inadequate sanding priming and painting again today

MsD

posted on 17/7/16 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
The car looks a heck of a lot cleaner now. Keep it up!

Shame you couldn't buy your old one back though, I seem to remember we went through IVA at roughly the same time, even though mines in bits all over the garage floor I would be gutted if I had to part with it!

Mark.

pekwah1

posted on 17/7/16 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments, and don't get me started on the old one, I was very gutted to sell it and if it wasn't for changing jobs and some debt it just wouldn't have happened. To be fair the guy who took it has done some really good work on it since so not surprised he didn't want to part...
But hey ho, I'm very happy with the new one, just got to go through the pain of the whole IVA thing all over again!

bi22le

posted on 17/7/16 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry i opened that can!

When repairing and touching up my powdercoated chassis I power drill wirebrushed it to bare metal, or as good as. I then hammerited it. I was lucky it was and stayed satin black. It protected the metal very well.
Good luck with the refurb and keep us posted.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

pekwah1

posted on 18/7/16 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
opened that 'can'.... i hope the pun was intended
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.