Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Creating Holes in Aluminium
irvined

posted on 24/1/05 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Creating Holes in Aluminium

Hello,

Whats the best way to create holes in the ali for things like the suspension arms, and fuel filler etc? I was thinking 1/2 inch drill bit with block of wood behind panel, followed by nibbling out the right size?

Surely theres a better way....

Cheers

David

britishtrident

posted on 24/1/05 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
1/2" drill will chew sheet aluminium --- start with a 1/8" pilot hole then bigger drill so you can use a hole cutter -- either a good quality hole saw or a puka punch die type tank cutter to give you a hole bigg enough to use the nibbler.
DaveFJ

posted on 24/1/05 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
depending on how big a hole you are after, I would recomend drawing the exact circle you want removed then chain drilling with a small drill just inside this circle (put some wood behind the sheet if it is very thin). Then carefully open the hole up with a half round file.

Alternatively there are special punches that you can buy that are a 2 part device which you put either side of the sheet and then screw together (obviously needs a pilot hole) ; apprently they work like a guilotine to give you a perfect hole. dunno where you get them from though.

HTH

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

locoboy

posted on 24/1/05 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I cut these by chain drilling just inside the mark i scribed on it and snipping through between the drill holes with a pair of wire cutters

then i used a file and finally a small drill mounted grinding stone to finish it off.

once polished it looked ok - took quite a long time to do and you needed to be carefull when handling it so as not to scratch it bend it.

Thats the back, the front was less scratched.

[img][/img]

ATB
Locoboy

NS Dev

posted on 24/1/05 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
hole saw??
locoboy

posted on 24/1/05 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
why buy a hole saw (if you can get one in the right size anyway) when your probably not going to use it again in the build?

For a bit of time and thought you can achieve pretty good results using other far cheaper methods.

ATB
Locoboy

Mark Allanson

posted on 24/1/05 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Chain drilling every time, it is very quick in ally Rescued attachment chain drill.jpg
Rescued attachment chain drill.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

DaveFJ

posted on 24/1/05 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
These are the gizmo's I was refering to.
bloody expensive though

Linky

Dave

SeaBass

posted on 24/1/05 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Trepanning Bit/Tank Cutter, used carefully in a decent pillar drill with scrap wood underneath. Small amount of deburring afterwards. Roberts your fathers...

Cheers

tom_loughlin

posted on 24/1/05 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
i chain drilled small holes just inside, then opened up with a jigsaw (but remember to mask up well first.
used the same idea for fibreglass.
Tom

paulbeyer

posted on 24/1/05 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
These are the gizmo's I was refering to.
bloody expensive though

Linky

We had a few of these in my last job. The finished result is amazing. I thought they were the dogs nuts until I went to our lab in the U.S. where they had a set of about 20 in a wooden case along with a hydraulic press to operate them. Nice.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

MikeR

posted on 24/1/05 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a set of hole saws that claim they can go through ali.....

as long as you keep the speed down with some lube i'd have thought they would be ok to pretty good (but i haven't tried them yet).......

So if you're willing to be a guinea pig

(come on, you should have known to ask me first by now!)

Peteff

posted on 24/1/05 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've done some 50mm round with a bimetal hole saw in 16g aluminum sheet. No problem as long as the sheets held firmly

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

NS Dev

posted on 24/1/05 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
when making various bits for crossmembers for rally cars etc I have used a 50mm bimetal hole saw to go through 6mm steel plate, so I don't think it'll struggle too much with ally sheet!

Mike, if yours is one of those sets with the interchangeable springy rings, chuck it!! They are crap. You are welcome to borrow my bimetal ones!!

Also, on the point about not needing them after the build, that's just not how I think!! I buy stuff cos it's useful, and finds uses for all sorts of jobs afterwards!!

MikeR

posted on 25/1/05 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
errm, not sure what you are on about........

mine are like ........

[quick web search later]web link

although mine are cheaper!

Mix

posted on 26/1/05 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Slight variation on the norm.

Chain drill, separate with small electrical wire cutters and clean up with a burr fitted to a die grinder.

Mick

DaveFJ

posted on 26/1/05 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
On thin sheet metal -( especially ally) - I prefer to finish the hole (post chain drilling) with a half round hand file, I find that power tools are just too much and you end up making a mess of it, you get far more control with a hand file (IMHO of course)

Dave

alfasudsprint

posted on 26/1/05 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Jigsaw with very fine tooth blade and lube, file after...nice result too.
MikeR

posted on 26/1/05 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
just make sure you don't drop a 2 foot metal bar from about 3 foot onto your finger when your trying to get the bimetal saws out .....

Irvined has photographic evidence of what happened to my finger..... it hurts!

NS Dev

posted on 26/1/05 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
those saws are fine Mike, you can get really cheap ones with a big arbor that the separate spring steel blades clamp into, and are really crap. Yours are fine!
Jeffers_S13

posted on 26/1/05 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfasudsprint
Jigsaw with very fine tooth blade and lube, file after...nice result too.

snap, did my dash with jigsaw, the only issue I could see arising is that it may scratch the metal either side of the cut where the bottom plate rubs, obviously my dash will be covered so this wasnt a problem for me, did a good job and dead quick compared to my efforts with chain drilling, I found that to be slow in comparison.

James

Danozeman

posted on 26/1/05 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
If u mask it up when using a jig saw theres no scratches. Ive done this loads of times. You can get a decentish set of holesaws from b n q for a tenner, thye drill throu aly no probs. If theyr shagged for a tenner u can sling em anyway........

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

mattplace

posted on 26/1/05 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
those screw together hole punches are brilliant. i have a couple of various sizes and are very reasonable from "cromwell" industrial suppliers.

if theres one near you, pop in and get a catalogue. its about as thick as the yellow pages and full of tools

if you get that catalogue they are on page948. eg of price is £5.50 for a 1"cutter. not a bad price i thought.

they are on the net too at www.cromwell.co.uk

NS Dev

posted on 26/1/05 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have mentioned Cromwell in the tools section. Our main tool account is with them at work, and it's a pretty big account (we are a steel rolling mill so get through a few tools!)

They are a really excellent supplier, not the very cheapest, but they don't stock "cheap" (i.e far eastern and falls to bits) stuff!! What they do stock is loads of stuff like the hole punches thatmattplace mentioned, and loads of other small and generally tricky to find tooling, at a reasonable cost, as well as anything else you can imagine tool-wise!

flyingkiwi

posted on 29/1/05 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just spotted this if it's any help, not too expensive either.

http://www.nfauto.co.uk/hole_saw_kit.htm

Chris

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.