Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is petrol conductive?
ady8077

posted on 1/2/05 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Is petrol conductive?

Hi

Just bought an intank fuel pump off ebay, but the connections are bare crimps. Is something missing or is petrol non-conductive?

Thanks

Adrian

JoelP

posted on 1/2/05 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK, petrol is a non polar hydrocarbon, hence i suspect that it is unlikely it will conduct (ie, it will probably have a massive specific resistance).

flak monkey

posted on 1/2/05 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
AFAIK, petrol is a non polar hydrocarbon, hence i suspect that it is unlikely it will conduct (ie, it will probably have a massive specific resistance).

Petrol doesnt conduct. AFAIK but not because its non polar, its because there are no free ions. Some polar liquids will conduct if you put a high enough voltage across them as you may be able to break the dipole, thus creating ions (water is a good example). Water only conducts as it is relatively easy to split the hyrogen from the oxygen. Petrol is just a mix of straight and benzine ring hydro carbons with no poles or ions.

Of course i could be totaly wrong

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

krlthms

posted on 1/2/05 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

Petrol doesnt conduct. AFAIK but not because its non polar, its because there are no free ions. Some polar liquids will conduct if you put a high enough voltage across them as you may be able to break the dipole, thus creating ions (water is a good example). Water only conducts as it is relatively easy to split the hyrogen from the oxygen. Petrol is just a mix of straight and benzine ring hydro carbons with no poles or ions.

Of course i could be totaly wrong

David

Pure water has a resistivity of 18.2 mega Ohm per cm, so not very conductive;m if you try to pass a current through it you get electrolysis.
KT

JoelP

posted on 1/2/05 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
pretty much what i said flak monkey, you are of course right that being non polar makes no difference i was thinking of solvents for some reasons, back in my chemistry days

I love speed :-P

posted on 1/2/05 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
i dont mean 2 sound stupid (so y say it i hear u say) but even if it isnt conductive but when it runs low what if u get a spark ie somthing goes wrong? big bang?

[Edited on 1/2/2005 by I love speed :-P]

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
I love speed :-P

posted on 1/2/05 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
i no that

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ady8077

posted on 1/2/05 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

I was just worring as petrol and sparks dont mix

I'll leave the guy good feedback now

Adrian

MikeRJ

posted on 1/2/05 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
You don't jhave to worry too much as the petrol actually goes through the motor itself, i.e. around the armature, commutator and brushes! This is how the motor is cooled.

Of course poor connections causing sparks on the outside of the pump (but inside the tank) is a recipe for a large explosion.

Rob Lane

posted on 2/2/05 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Only if the air/petrol ratio is correct.

There are different air/item ratios for different items to cause explosions, otherwise it's a controlled burn.

i.e. natural gas/air mix for instance in boilers and fires. Let gas build up to a specific mixture and bang ! Some boilers get close to that when ignition is slow, hence boom from cabinet.

britishtrident

posted on 2/2/05 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Normally the air space in a petrol tank has too rich a fuel air mixture to be a explosive hazard --- leave the fuel cap off and it would be a different matter
craig1410

posted on 3/2/05 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted a new in-tank fuel pump to my Rover 800 Vitesse a few years ago and it has crimp type connections inside the tank which bridge the pump body with the mounting plate. I remember thinking the same thing at the time but the connectors were all nice gold plated ones and were in very good condition so I didn't worry and just fitted the new pump.

I'd say as long as you use good quality gold or silver plated connectors and have them fitting nice and tight then all should be well. Also might be worth taking steps to ensure that the wires inside the tank can't vibrate and fatigue.

HTH,
Craig.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.