Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: wishbone bushes and tube dia
mattplace

posted on 8/2/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
wishbone bushes and tube dia

where is the cheapest place to get poly bush type bushes?

also, what size tube did you use for the bush tubes. i've got 25mm by 2mm wall but thats different to gts bushes which seem the best buy to me.

JoelP

posted on 8/2/05 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
when i was bone making, i bought the bushes, crush tubes and brackets all at once, to ensure they all fitted together. I went to MK (great service BTW...), but im sure whichever company is local will have a competetive price. Its always possible to get stuff cheaper, but you could do a lot of pissing about trying to get stuff to match...!

flak monkey

posted on 8/2/05 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK the GTS poly's are the best buy. I certainly havent seen any cheaper anywhere else! The tube dimensions are on the GTS website with the bushes (click on PDF)

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mattplace

posted on 9/2/05 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
i would go for the gts bushes but can't get hold of the required tube - 1.25" 18swg.

may go and see how much an engineering company can manufacture some nylon bushes for tomorrow. a mate has told me about a good company and they like cash!!

do you definately need crush tubes with the bushes? surely if the bushes are manufactured correctlyand the wishbone bush tubes are accurate, there is no need for them???

flak monkey

posted on 9/2/05 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
The crush tubes are needed to allow free movement of the suspension. They are slightly longer than the pivot tubes on the wishbones, so when tightened down securly the 'bones will still move.

Think thats right...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

JoelP

posted on 9/2/05 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
big disagreements on the length of the crush tube recently, i suspect the precise length depends on shore (hardness) of the bush. the crush tube needs to be tight so it acts as the pivot, rather than the bolt. just how long and tight was the subject of heated debate. another advavtage to buying it all at once!!!

James

posted on 9/2/05 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mattplace
i would go for the gts bushes but can't get hold of the required tube - 1.25" 18swg.

<snip>
do you definately need crush tubes with the bushes? surely if the bushes are manufactured correctlyand the wishbone bush tubes are accurate, there is no need for them???

18swg seems a bit small for the wishbone bush (outer)tubes- you sure that's the right figure?
Even if it is, I can't see why you couldn't use thicker wall stuff- just reduce the length of the wishbone tubing length by a couple of mm. Also, make sure your brackets are big enough for that size of tube to rotate freely!
Anyway, ask Darren to supply the bush tube with the bushes and crush tubes. I bought the entire lot from MK- made life much easier!

And yes, you definately need crush tubes with your bushes- otherwise what else would the bush rotate around... the bolt?

HTH,
James

Mix

posted on 9/2/05 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Another consideration when buying bushes and tubes is the length of the bush tube supplied. Make sure they are compatable with the brackets you are using.

Mick

blueshift

posted on 9/2/05 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Don't panic: Doz at GTS will supply you the bush tubes you need, inner and outer, cut to length, for a small extra fee.

Hooray for Doz!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.