Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: EBC Redstuff brake pads
DarrenW

posted on 18/2/05 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
EBC Redstuff brake pads

I went to my local factors the other day to order some greenstuff pads. Ive been recommended to get redstuff due to performance potential of the car. Originally i thought these were more for serious track / light race use but ive been told that EBC have just re-graded their compounds. Now the greenstuff are good for 'streetcars' (novas, saxos etc) whereas redstuff are now the fast road / occasional track pads (mr2's, supras, type R's etc). The leaflet i was given seems to back this up.

Has anyone tried the new redstuff pads? Any comments?

Hellfire

posted on 18/2/05 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard that the redstuff (the old one?) was poor when cold... good for track and race as they cope better with heat.

If they say they are new... why doesn't their website say so? It still says Red for fast road... and ceramic's cope better with heat... sounds like you have been fed shullbit!

EBC

[Edited on 18-2-05 by Hellfire]

DarrenW

posted on 18/2/05 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt think to check the website. It looks like the redstuff pads are still good for normal fast cars but not for fast light ones. It shows the greenstuff are approved for hillclimbing and sprinting caterhams etc. Ive now changed my order to greenstuff.

Does anyone have any comments (good or bad) about greenstuff pads?

Hellfire

posted on 18/2/05 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from excessive brake dust (on tintops) they are supposed to be good. I guess they would be suitable for se7en's...

NS Dev

posted on 18/2/05 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just use Mintex 1144's. I have NEVER been able to fault these, they are cheaper than the EBC pads and are harder wearing too, as well as working from stone cold but improving all the time as they get hotter.

I have used them on several rally cars (much heavier that the things we are fitting them to on here!) to very good effect and never faded them yet!

Northy

posted on 18/2/05 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
I was recommended by EBC themselves to fit Greenstuff, which I did at the front and I can't fault them. Was thinking of sticking some in the Focus!

Don't worry they'll be fine. I can lock a wheel easily with M16 calipers, then its down to the tires!

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 18/2/05 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Any brake pad should lock the wheel once Northy!!

It's the subsequent applications that get progressively more worrying!!

Nothing wrong with EBC pads in my experience, very good in fact, but as I said, Mintex 1144 spec pads last longer and are cheaper to buy unless you know a special supplier for EBC.

[Edited on 18/2/05 by NS Dev]

Alfalfameister

posted on 19/2/05 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
I was told that Green is okay for occasional track use, but that Red would be better. The same thing that Hellfire said though: they aren't very good when cold.

Yellow (race), on the other hand, was not only NOT recommended for street use, but also DANGEROUS. When cold, they may not bite! In other words, you may not stop! They can tolerate a lot more heat though (which is why they're designed for racing only).

For such a light car like a Seven, I think Greens are more than adequate, even for regular track use.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.