Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: new chassis concept
ss2bp1

posted on 8/5/05 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
new chassis concept

Avoiding some homework the other night and came up with this: http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~ernestgj/Concept.htm I don't really like the back fender but haven't been able to come up with something better. Let me know what you think; new ideas are always welcome Thanks a lot.

Greg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tri

posted on 8/5/05 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
looks cool but i dunno about the nose bit looks strange to me but it could be a case of i can't picture it in my head properly (like life look of it)
JoelP

posted on 8/5/05 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
would the nose have the radiator positioned in the tunnel? quite a good idea ultima style, plus it helps air flow around the front end. I like the rear wings too, though on my own version of your car i would smooth them into the sides more.

there also seems to be a lot of rear luggage space - almost enough for an engine? or would you make it a middy anyway? either way, you could probably shorten the car slightly - this would also help achieve a better wheelbase ratio (ie length to width, apparently 1.6 is ideal)

akumabito

posted on 8/5/05 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I like the design, but it could do with a bit more refinement..

Try rounding the front a bit more. Right now it looks like a big chunk of wood just cut diagonally, if you round it more it will look a lot smoother, and probably a lot prettier as well.. The rest of the car looks pretty cool. Just try to change the sharp corners a little so the design flows better..

ss2bp1

posted on 8/5/05 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not an artist by any means, so the sketch is very rudimentary. Just the basic shape and idea is what I was going for. It looks a lot better in my head Right now it is front engine (turbo-charged rotary); I would have liked to go middy, but I can't seem to find a transaxle that would handle the power for a reasonable price. I agree with JoelP that the back end turned out a bit too long. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Greg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DorsetStrider

posted on 8/5/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Unless I'm very much mistaken it would fail SVA.... front wheels must be guarded....unless I'm being simple and you intended to put them on

Who the f**K tightened this up!

ss2bp1

posted on 8/5/05 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in America so SVA doesn't apply exactly, but yes, it would probably fail. Like I said above, I'm not an artist. Just trying to get the general shape down so I could see what it looked like.

Greg

timmy

posted on 9/5/05 at 03:29 AM Reply With Quote
It reckon it looks okay - but I would lower the rear section a bit because the wind resistance would be huge (at least you'll save on brakes!!).
What about a 2nd gen MR2 transaxle? These should be available in the US and can handle quite a bit of power. Or perhaps a Pontiac Fiero...

ss2bp1

posted on 9/5/05 at 04:58 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure the MR2 or Fiero transaxle can handle 400hp They are pretty cheap though (Fiero ones) so I'll have to look into that. Thanks for all the input guys.

Greg

Spottty

posted on 9/5/05 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
I have seen a few 400+hp MR2's and there are V8 fiero's all over the place.

Maybe a transaxle from a caddy with a northstar in it, they take 300hp stock. Heavy as hell though, I would imagine.

Best thing to do for a build....
Ditch the wife!

andyace

posted on 9/5/05 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I think that the powers that be may have a problem with the small animal decapitator mounted to the front.

I dont even think a bit of trim will make that safe !!

drmike54

posted on 11/5/05 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Seems to be inspired by the 50's indy cars.

Started Welding the chassis!!!!

Jermyn

posted on 18/5/05 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I think the back end is going to be more bulky than you would like. Have you tried to draw it from other angles to see how the back end and the sides would flow together?

Sometimes your minds eye will play tricks on you and you just can't get a feel of the overall shape of the object unless you have 3-d drawings from many angles.

I started off with drawings much like yours. Indy-inspired with a wide body on the sides. I found problems with the flow of the rear fenders interefering with the doors I wanted to have. Overall, I ended up with this drawing. A wider body with front splash guards and bulky rear fenders that still didn't quite work. Of course, in my mind it was beautiful, but getting it on paper was hard and I ended up with something different

I conceed now that actually building it and making it look like it did in my mind would almost be impossible. It would be like a guessing game and I'm sure the final product would be great, just not exactly like the original inspiration

[img]/upload/21st drawing.jpg[/img]

If life is a race do you want to be the first one to finish?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.