Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Boosting an R1
robertwa

posted on 22/6/05 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Boosting an R1

Has anyone had any experience boosting an R1? I'm still early into the building stage, but lokoing for a good engine. Now I'm at the R1/busa dilema.
I'm building for mostly road use occasional track day.
My thinking is that the money I can save on gettting an R1 over a busa to begin with, plus the saving on not having to dry sump it could be put towards a turbo kit for the R1. Does this make sense? Does the yamaha bottom end hold up well to this kind of treatment?
I drove in a westfield hayabusa last weekend and it blew me away. How far off that performance is a stock R1? Would you notice if not racing?

Thanks guys
Rob

robertwa

posted on 22/6/05 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'm really more interested in how the engine holds up with mods like a turbo.
I'm in San Diego - I got a quote of $2500 for an R1 'car kit' vs $3000 for a busa (all US dollars) so the difference in the engine price isn't that much. It's when you add the dry sump etc it will make the Suzuki a lot more expensive.....

Rob

tony9876

posted on 22/6/05 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Busa engines are pretty much bulletproof when it comes to modifications with some motors seeing over 500bhp. The r1 is less powerful but also has a lot less low down power too. I had a busa westfield that i had big bored gas flowed etc and it never skipped a beat. If i lived in the states it would be busa all the way

[Edited on 22/6/05 by tony9876]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 23/6/05 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Ive driven otherwise almost identical busa and R1 westfields on the same day and the R1 in stock form isnt far off the busa at all, especially up to 100mph. It produces its power differently and you can certainly go quicker in the busa if you want to drive it without caning the arse off it, but if both are on the boil the R1 isnt much slower. I havent driven mine yet but JimG who's got a carbed R1 Pheonix told me that he was impressed with the injected engine's mid range and smoothness compared to his when he went out in an injected Fury, so hopefully my injection engine will be even closer.

Having said that, I don't think I'd turbo one, the engine is 30kgs lighter than a busa and has a higher specific output so just by looking at that gives a good idea that its never going to be as strong as the busa engine, especially on standard internals. The busa is very well proven with turbos and the investment in turbo-ing is much higher than you initially think (a mate of mine who is turbo-ing his busa reckons the conversion owes him best part of £8-10k), so if investing that kind of money I think Id start with the strongest engine I could find - the busa.

OX

posted on 23/6/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
the torque of the busa is the the biggest difference that i noticed between that and the R1,i remember having to knock the r1 down agear to be able to over take with any speed but with the busa i just leave it in top,,no matter what speed im doing .
both damn good engines but if your going to get one turbo'd get the busa

or you could try the zx12,,,,just to keep hell fire happy

[Edited on 23/6/05 by OX]

jimgiblett

posted on 24/6/05 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
If you are going down the turbo route I think you might want to have a look at getting Carrillo (sp?) Rods as this appears to be the weak link when seriously upping the power on the R1.

The biggest advantage I have seen of the R1 over the Busa is that you can seriously cane it without that nagging worry in the back of your mind about how much it will cost if it goes pop.

As far as inj vs carbs I was very impressed with the inj R1 in a friends fury. This was really for smoothness rather than power which seemed very similar.

If I was to boost mine I think I would rather go the supercharging route over turbos just for the linear power delivery.

Hi boost turbos seem more for the straight line boys anyway

My 2p

Jim

ChrisGamlin

posted on 24/6/05 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, certainly in the lower rev range the busa is a lot stronger, I saw a dyno run printout of several bikes (blade, R1, ZX9 etc) next to a busa and the busa produced more torque at ~3500rpm than any of the others did at peak torque.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 24/6/05 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Morning Jim, I tend to agree, although I wont say no when Baz throws me the keys of his Busa turbo to have a blast in

jimgiblett

posted on 24/6/05 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris

My comment was for Baz just in case he was reading

But like you said I wouldnt turn him down, I'm sure his car will be awsome when he finishes it.

How long until yours is back on the road then?

[Edited on 24/6/05 by jimgiblett]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 24/6/05 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Should be ~350bhp at a conservative estimate

Mine should be back on the road in about a week assuming it fires first time! I was hoping to be on the road this week but a few things have held me up.

Did you hear about PeteO's plod fine on the way back from Le Mans, EUR750

jimgiblett

posted on 24/6/05 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Ouch!!!..... In the Trevor or has he changed cars...must have been shifting then?

350bhp... that should loosen the bowels

ChrisGamlin

posted on 24/6/05 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
He's got a left hooker 993 Turbo now, he was caught doing ~170kmh in a 110 I think, although Rodders said he allegedly was doing rather more a short time beforehand (try changing kph to mph )

soggy

posted on 24/7/05 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
turbo

Try www.turbo-bike.net

if at first u dont succeed use a bigger hammer!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.