Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Progress! Weeee!
suparuss

posted on 6/8/05 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Progress! Weeee!

Finally got me engine out of the car, which is a pretty big stepping stone cos i can get it cleaned up and measure the thing for auto cad so i can finally design the arse end of me chassis! hired a crane form hss for the day for £23 whichh aint too bad, not now its in the garge i can put a girder across the roof and use me chain hoist if i need to shift it.
any hoo, heres a pic-

dirty engine
dirty engine

a quick scrape of the blackness reveals there is metal under there after all. should keep me busy for a while!

Russ.

shades

posted on 6/8/05 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
what audi di that come out off. Like the idea of the audi 5 pot in a mid engine beast
suparuss

posted on 6/8/05 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
was from an '86 coupe gt. 136bhp standard, and torque was awsome in the lower revs. not to mention the noise it makes! thats down to the fact that only 2 cylinders fire together, the rest fire individually hence it sounds like a V8. plus since are spread equally round the crankshaft its really smooth too. cant wait to get it running again, especially without an exaust!!
shades

posted on 6/8/05 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
agree with the noise... need to post a wav when you get it running
Lotusmark2

posted on 6/8/05 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
drove one of them years ago....what a motor!, I shall watch with interest
Aloupol

posted on 7/8/05 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by suparuss
thats down to the fact that only 2 cylinders fire together, the rest fire individually hence it sounds like a V8.

???
AFAIK no engine have cylinders sparking together.
On a 4 in row: one spark each 180° (one complete cycle is 720°, 4 cylinders, so 720:4=180).
On a 5 in row: 720:5=144 so one spark each 144°.
On a V8: 720:8=90 so one spark each 90°, this gives the optimal angle between the two cylinders rows.
On a 4 in row the 1 an 4 as well as the 2 and 3 seem synchronized but are actually 360° offset, so exact oposite.
This said I agree with the lovely noise of Audi 5 cylinders, with the right manifolds it will be a marvel..
Which kind of body do you plan to build?

[Edited on 7/8/05 by Aloupol]

suparuss

posted on 7/8/05 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
yes m8 you are right about the audi, they do fire individually, i realised as i was pratting around with the engine and turning the crank. its the equal spacing around the crank that makes it smoooooth. think 4cyls fire 2 - 2 though, unless the intake and exaust stokes alternate, not sure.
the body for me car isnt really decided yet, ill be using a lancia stratos windscreen and lights from hayabusa bikes, which may or may not give you an idea.

violentblue

posted on 8/8/05 at 04:03 AM Reply With Quote
intake and exhaust strokes alternate on a 4 cyl engine. so you have 1 cyl firing every 180 degrees.

a few pics of my other projects

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.