Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another trip to the scrappy!
pathfinder

posted on 11/8/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Another trip to the scrappy!

I’m off to the scrappy again this Saturday and hope to get hold of steering column, front uprights and possibly a steering rack. The old boy in the yard was keen to help when I went to remove the diff last weekend, he mentioned that the early sierras had a different steering lock arrangement that may be desirable and that he had one kicking about, is this true? I have also been offered some 2wd Cosworth front callipers do they bolt straight onto sierra uprights? Are all 2wd uprights the same?

Cheers chaps

pathfinder

posted on 11/8/05 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Iv just found the answer to the Cosworth question so I’m sacking that idea off! Are there any other standard ford braking components that can be used as an upgrade?
JoelP

posted on 11/8/05 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
xr4x4s (and some others) had 260mm discs rather than the normal 240. These usually need a 14" wheel to clear them though.

My lil car has standard cortina brakes and it stops faster than i need it to stop! Some say that having vented discs is not desirable due to the extra weight, and also not getting up to temperature (too much air flow etc). Good pads are recommended. I often hear greenstuff and mintex pads mentioned, though i have used neither dont need them yet myself!

NS Dev

posted on 12/8/05 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Joel's quite right, std sierra brakes will be MORE than enough stopping a lightweight 7.

The Mintex pads are 1144 compound. You can get them for std sierra calipers from places lie Rally Design (www.rallydesign.co.uk) and they work from stone cold and never seem to fade, they are outstanding.

SixedUp

posted on 12/8/05 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
I upgraded to Greenstuff pads on vented Golf GTi rotors, and there was a noticeable improvement in both "bite" and pedal feel, but especially in fade resistance.

However, I'd say that there's no point going mad with upgrades, as traction is already the limiting factor for me - I can lock the front wheels on a good dry road at will

If you're looking at doing more trackdays then maybe drilled/grooved rotors would be worthwhile to further improve the fade-resistance, but they'll be more expensive, and I've not had any direct experience of them.

Cheers
Richard

Rob Lane

posted on 12/8/05 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Early Sierra used a true key ignition barrel compared to the security key of later versions.
With the security key versions once the barrel is slightly worn, a whole lot of other keys will fit it !!

JoelP

posted on 12/8/05 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
Early Sierra used a true key ignition barrel compared to the security key of later versions.
With the security key versions once the barrel is slightly worn, a whole lot of other keys will fit it !!

true that, i noticed a while ago that any of my ford keys would lock any of the doors on my cars! wouldnt open them though

block

posted on 12/8/05 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ford keys

All ford keys will lock another ford, but obviously it will not unlock it, generally.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.