Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Website Up and Running
MattWatson

posted on 12/1/03 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
Website Up and Running

The website for my peoject is up and running now, and you can check it out at :

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

I havn't got any pictures up as of yet, but I will hopefully soon.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 12/1/03 at 03:33 AM Reply With Quote
Good start Matt

We'll be watching you

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ProjectLMP

posted on 12/1/03 at 04:23 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like we've got quite the collection of projects building. Should make for interesting reading over the coming months (and years!).

Matt, I like the site. Can I add a link to it from mine?

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

MattWatson

posted on 12/1/03 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProjectLMP
Looks like we've got quite the collection of projects building. Should make for interesting reading over the coming months (and years!).

Matt, I like the site. Can I add a link to it from mine?

Sure, I'll reciprocate and add one on my links page when I add it.

Now down to a question: do you think I should stick with the VERY modified 1.6VW Turbo idea or go fo a chev 350 plant? I have one, and the other I can also get for free..

Maybe a Canadian Ultima slayer?

[Edited on 12/1/03 by MattWatson]

BasOlij

posted on 12/1/03 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
whow, it seems we're all getting the GT bug here:-)

Matt good fortunes designing this one:-) Which engine to take? I dunne know. The bug engine has the advantage it's easy, straight forward and loads of things you can do with it. I don't know about the chevy one but power.

I gather you are going for an MR layout? Keep in mind you bug engine lies after the gearbox. Not to good for your weight placement. Swap it around:-)

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

TheGecko

posted on 12/1/03 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BasOlij
Keep in mind you bug engine lies after the gearbox.
Bas,

Reading Matt's website, I'm pretty sure the VW engine he's talking about is the Golf 4 cylinder, not the Beetle, since he mentions the AUDI 20V head as a swap.

Mid-engine with Golf drivetrain was done in Australia back in the early '80s - the Bolwell Ikara. See my website http://www.DIYSportsCar.org/ikara.html for some photos and follow to link to the Bolwell Owners Club for some more.

Look forward to seeing your site (and car) develop Matt.

Dominic

BasOlij

posted on 12/1/03 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dominic,

OOPS, my fault:-) I'm so used to bug engines being placed in kitcars I think of it automatically when VW is named:-)

Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij
1984 Porsche 944 type 2
1981 Delorean DMC-12

ProjectLMP

posted on 12/1/03 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
I really like the sound of V8's and the torque really makes it feel like you are going fast. However, I am really into lighweight cars as you just cannot beat the handling. I would personnaly go with the 1.6VW turbo. Having a big lump of V8 in a very light car is bound to effect the handling. Not to mention everything will need uprating from chassis to driveline to cope with the torque. V8's can be really hard on gearboxes if you plan on tracking the car. I have friends who race Ultimas and Stealths and they went through $10,000 Porsche gearboxes every two or three races until they switched to $25,000 hewland boxes. Granted, they ran slicks.

MattWatson

posted on 12/1/03 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I really like the sound of V8's and the torque really makes it feel like you are going fast. However, I am really into lighweight cars as you just cannot beat the handling. I would personnaly go with the 1.6VW turbo. Having a big lump of V8 in a very light car is bound to effect the handling. Not to mention everything will need uprating from chassis to driveline to cope with the torque. V8's can be really hard on gearboxes if you plan on tracking the car. I have friends who race Ultimas and Stealths and they went through $10,000 Porsche gearboxes every two or three races until they switched to $25,000 hewland boxes. Granted, they ran slicks.

Yah I just thought I would fire the point out, because I can get both basically for free. Now I just need to find a head and a turbo.

Time to visit pick your part.

Spyderman

posted on 12/1/03 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Another benefit to keeping it 1.6L is the catagory or group you would fit into if you did decide to race or sprint/hillclimb it.

There is a lot of competition with the higher cc engines.

Terry

Spyderman

Rorty

posted on 13/1/03 at 05:11 AM Reply With Quote
Well done Matt, that's a good start.
I think you already have your answer on which of the two engines to go for. I would agree with the general consensus, however, if the V8 was a Northstar, or Rover, then I would change my mind in an instant!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

ProjectLMP

posted on 13/1/03 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Matt,
This may be of interest to you.

914_1
914_1

914_2
914_2

914_3
914_3

914_4
914_4
.jpg[/img]

MattWatson

posted on 14/1/03 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
That porsche is interesting, I would like to see what they have in the engine compartment.

Ironically, from everything I got from the donor car, I am only going to be able to use the block (w/ assorted parts) and the injection system.

I really want to change the transmission to a 5speed unit, and it is a direct bolt on, so I guess that will be my mode of opperations.

I am also going to have to probably switch a 16V VW DOHC head for the AUDI 20V head as I don't think I will be able to find one cheap (READ: I can get the 16V head with everything for 20$) but If I manage to find one, I think I will pick it up.

So far my turbo plans are for a Saab t3 turbo, which are plentiful and easy to find. If however I can't find one, a friend has a NEW one I can have for free, but he would prefer to keep it, so I think I will try to find one first.

Now a question for everyone: What are you guys using for lights? I can't really affor a 3000US$ HID kit or one of the projector kits, so what is everyone planning on using? I can't really use anything with a diameter above 5 inches or so... any ideas?

Alan B

posted on 14/1/03 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hella 90mm units ..$45 each....

Matt, swap links?

ProjectLMP

posted on 14/1/03 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
The engine is a 1.8 turbo currently used in VW's and Audi A4's. It has an APR stage III turbo setup (www.goapr.com) and puts out about 350hp

MattWatson

posted on 15/1/03 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
Hella 90mm units ..$45 each....

Matt, swap links?

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~xr4tic/index.html

This is a swap in an A4, replacing the 1.8L block (AUDI) with a 2.0L block from VW. All VW blocks (apparently all audi blocks too) have the same bolt patern.

The Audi and VW 20V heads have an extra 3 holes for oil return, so plugging them is as simple as tapping them, adding a hex bolt, and sealing with a compound (which I have yet to figure out what it is) It dosn't seem to effect reliablity which is a good thing.

If I can get an AUDI head, I will just tear off the intake and exhaust manifolds with turbo and injection systems to aid me in simplicity.

The thing I was going to do was to use the CIS system on my current engine (apparently excellent for turbos and chargers) and machine a set of individual throttle bodies as the cis system is head instead of manifold injection. It has been done to good effect.

If I can't find a 20V head, I will get a 16V one from any post '91 passat or post '95 Jetta/Golf. This head bolts on with NO modifications, and all I would need is the exhaust and intake.

The exhaust I plan on using would be a custom Stainless exaust welded together using the mandrel bend tubing that I can get made. (I don't have a mandrel bending setup ) I do have a lathe however, and can do the throttle bodies fairly easily.

Sould be interesting. I think I am going to get the engine done, and then check on the chassis. This might change, as I think I will get someone else to tear the engine apart for me, as it is much more fun to assemble rather than take apart.

We have hot tanking facilities so cleaning will be a snap, except for the heads as it eats them.... which the solution say it shouldn't?

Anyway thats currently the plan.

MattWatson

posted on 15/1/03 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
The engine is a 1.8 turbo currently used in VW's and Audi A4's. It has an APR stage III turbo setup (www.goapr.com) and puts out about 350hp

Since you have some experience in this (and I can't find it online) what is the first year of the 20V head? I have heard of it in a '94 but I am hoping it was also in an earlier year.

Matt

ProjectLMP

posted on 15/1/03 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have much experience with the 4 cyl engines. Try posting on www.audiworld.com in the A4 forum.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.