Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: +442 or "book" chassis?
Alfalfameister

posted on 19/5/06 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
+442 or "book" chassis?

Trying to decide whether to make the +442 or stick to book.

After reading some threads, I know I won't have a problem fitting in the "book" chassis. But am thinking if going +442 would be better.

Right now, I will be sticking a Toyota 4AGE engine in it. But in "flights-of-fancy daydreaming", sometimes I'm thinking of putting a 3SGE or 3SG-variant under the hood.

I know Bill Sherwood managed to fit a 3SGE engine in -- but barely. I figured a +442 might just make it a tad easier.

Body parts/nosecones/etc are not a problem, because where I'm from, none of them are available, so they will all be done from scratch anyway (and labour is cheap in my country).

Any disadvantages of the +442?

zetec7

posted on 19/5/06 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
+442 will make life easier in a lot of ways...room for your feet, any trans you want to use, room for a wider ranbe of rear axles, etc. etc. I used +222, wish I'd gone for the +442 now that I'm trying to fit everything in. It's like trying to push a greased buffalo through a cat door...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pucksaver

posted on 19/5/06 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
I am interested in this as well. I understand that the +442 will make things easier but what are the consequences in terms of handling, weight, performance etc..
Also, would the bits from a miata (including the rear IRS subframe) fit into a standard book chassis without problem?

PS Sorry for the hijack

Alfalfameister

posted on 19/5/06 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, your concerns about consequences in terms of handling and performance are valid, and pretty much a concern for me as well.

Another reason I'm looking at the +442 is the scarcity of Toyota T50 trannies. I know K40s and K50 are okay, but I'm not sure how well they'll handle the power of the 4AGE at full song. With that in mind, there are W55s available, and since they came from Supras, should be able to handle 180bhp (not that I plan to use all them horses). Problem is, they are a tad bigger. And for me, not much heavier (T50 about 25 kilos, W55 about 35 kilos).

It's the availability, people, the availability! Honest!

While the W55 is closer to reality, the 3SGE is more the daydream. But sometimes dreams come true...

DavidM

posted on 19/5/06 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec7
It's like trying to push a greased buffalo through a cat door...

Ahhhh, you can't beat a decent sex life!

David

Proportion is Everything

Alfalfameister

posted on 21/5/06 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Toyota W55 Transmission

Does anyone know the measurements/dimensions of a Toyota W55 transmission?

Will the book chassis fit with just minor modifications in the transmission tunnel if the W55 is a big beast? Or would it take too much space that the driver area suffers enough as to make the car undriveable?

Or should I really just go for the +442?

If anyone has done a build with a W55 transmission, would greatly appreciate any advice.

[Edited on 21/5/06 by Alfalfameister]

DIY Si

posted on 21/5/06 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Whilst I have no idea how big the tranny you're after is, I'd build a wider chassis anyway. Either way,you'll have more space for just about everything, and in these cars that's always a good thing. It will also make the car slightly stiffer and give your feet much needed space at the pedals. I can sit in my chassis with steel toe boots on and still have spare space! Oh, but it will also allow you to carry fat(er) passengers around. Which may/may not be a good thing.
omega 24 v6

posted on 21/5/06 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
I'm building a 442 and so is RichardK and ecosse(ithink). Check our posts for problems relating to steering and suspension issues.
If I was going to do another build I'd combine the +4 and +442 mc soreley drawings and make from the scuttle forwards to the +4 sizes I think.
Good luck as ever.

DIY Si

posted on 21/5/06 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
This is what I've done, the chassis is +4 all the way down and +4 in the passenger bay length wise. Didn't do the +2 height though, as it meant the side rail was a bit to high to rest my elbow on!
omega 24 v6

posted on 21/5/06 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

as it meant the side rail was a bit to high to rest my elbow on!

LOL YOU POSER

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.