Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Indy random stalling/failing to start
timmyb

posted on 24/8/06 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Indy random stalling/failing to start

Hi Guys!

Sorry to post a question that I#'m sure some of you have answered 1001 times, but a search didn't turn anything up.

My R1 Indy is misbehaving... I've taken her for a spin - nothing strenuous, just a normal drive, and as I've come to a point where I'm letting the revs drop below 4krpm, she's stuttered and died. Stamping on the throttle did nothing, but back off a bit semed to make her jump into life for a split second before dieing.

Once stalled, she wouldn't idle on restarting for a good 5 mins.

As I said, this has happened to me twice in the last couple of days. One possible contributary factor could be that the fuel's running low in the tank - far from empty, but lowish. Are they prone to getting fuel starvation at all?

Can anyone shed any light/sympathy/similar stories?

Many thanks

Tim

[Edited on 24/8/06 by timmyb]

MK Indy R1

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 24/8/06 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have a good fuel filter?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

timmyb

posted on 24/8/06 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
It's running a standard filter, car's only 1000 miles old, so should be fine

MK Indy R1

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 24/8/06 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
was the filter new when fitted? It might be worth checking just in case. Is there anything about it stalling that's not random? Ie high temp, turning left etc?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

timmyb

posted on 24/8/06 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'll double check, but I've got a receipt for the new part.

Nothing random at all - other than it occuring on two occasions after driving at dual carriageway speeds then coming to pootling speeds. It'll last for 5 mins (starting then immediate stalling) and pass as if nothing happened...

Tim

MK Indy R1

timmyb

posted on 24/8/06 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
All seems new in the filter department.

MK Indy R1

JoelP

posted on 24/8/06 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
what does it idle at when behaving? Id check the pump is on form, and turn the idle up slightly.

carb or inj?

[Edited on 24/8/06 by JoelP]

Andy W

posted on 24/8/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a similar problem, car died a couple of times but would restart after a couple of minutes. Traced it to be a dodgy fuel pump.

Andy

timmyb

posted on 24/8/06 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Idle's fine when normal. I'll double check the idle speed though.

Thanks for your input too Andy, I'll get my hands on a spare fuel pump just in case.

Cheers guys

Tim

MK Indy R1

timmyb

posted on 26/8/06 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
Just for info guys, my initial thoughts were confirmed - she doesn't seem to like runing on les than 1/4 tank of fuel. All's fine since filling her up yesterday.

All the same, a replacement fuel pump is enroute

Thanks for the input thought guys

Tim

MK Indy R1

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.