Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: odd engine choices for a se7en?
Jonte

posted on 11/10/06 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
odd engine choices for a se7en?

sat here thinking what the strangest engine choice I´ve seen in a locost/seven. But I can´t think of any except BEC:s

What have you seen and thought about.
Maybe a diesel, turbine or a truck engine

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ch1ll1

posted on 11/10/06 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
2cv i think is a silly choice

donut

posted on 11/10/06 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
MG Midget 1275 turbo!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 11/10/06 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Given that locosts are light weight and inexpensive, I'd say anything that costs a lot or is very heavy.

Pintos are OK cause they come free with your donor car.

I'd add anything that is all torque and no power. Too much torque spins the wheels of a light weight car too much. Sevens are not at all aerodynamic and so you need a bit of power to keep them going at a half decent speed.

Cast iron non-turbo diesels would seem a poor choice.

Agriv8

posted on 11/10/06 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Rover V8 designed for moving 2 ton of range rover.

makes sense to me just because you can mentality - so a 27 liter merlin engine in an sd1 ?

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

graememk

posted on 11/10/06 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
robinhood made a austin metro based 7 called the rhm1000

NS Dev

posted on 11/10/06 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
much as I'll be the first to criticise, it's all in good humour, and tbh is there such thing as a strange choice on here???

Its the one place in car-net-land where daft pillocks like us can do stupid things and no-one bats an eyelid!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 11/10/06 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
how 'bout a supercharged lister D?

never seen one but it would definitely be odd!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

scudderfish

posted on 11/10/06 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
How about that Rush with a gas turbine?
DavidM

posted on 11/10/06 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
There was a locost unfinished project with VW beetle running gear, on ebay a couple of weeks ago.

David

Proportion is Everything

peterriley2

posted on 11/10/06 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
if you check here, i think you'll find a turbine engine to be not such an odd choice!! but would it be a bec, or a tec (turbine engine car)????

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

Hellfire

posted on 11/10/06 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Strangest engine choice I've ever seen has to be the one shown below. I think they're commonly referred to as Pintos

Anchor
Anchor

Jonte

posted on 11/10/06 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peterriley2
if you check here, i think you'll find a turbine engine to be not such an odd choice!! but would it be a bec, or a tec (turbine engine car)????

actually it´s been up for discussion on our swedish locost forum
They are a bit expensive though

Mark Allanson

posted on 11/10/06 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Better than those screamy buzzy delicate things with a lifespan of a butterfly with tuberculosis, a clutch smaller that a CD, parts more expensive that Faberge, fuel consumption cc for cc about the same as a trans atlantic cruise liner, initial costs more than my whole car and a whole years worth of fuel and the insurance.......

They arn't called bike engines for nothing, they belong in bikes

Signed 'A Pinto Owner'

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Hellfire

posted on 11/10/06 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Oooh. Did I touch a raw nerve?

Phil

DIY Si

posted on 11/10/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
He's just jealous, thats all!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

dilley

posted on 11/10/06 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote

dilley

posted on 11/10/06 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
But butterflies are beutifull
Mark Allanson

posted on 11/10/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Oooh. Did I touch a raw nerve?

Phil

No, not at all, just a lazy car engine suits my needs, quick enough to scare any passenger, or to overtake almost anything anywhere, but easy on the brain and ear if I am on a long cruise, amazingly economical if out for a slow day out with my (scaredycat) mrs, but gets as low as 18mpg when seriously blatting.

Horses for courses

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

smart51

posted on 11/10/06 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
parts more expensive that Faberge,

I found yamaha parts to be cheaper than any tin top I've ever had (and a fraction of the cost of smart parts bought at a merc dealer

fuel consumption cc for cc about the same as a trans atlantic cruise liner,

I routinley get 30 MPG out of mine when driven hard, which is routine

initial costs more than my whole car

my engine, box, new clutch, wiring loom, instruments, carbs, new jetting needles all cost less than £1000. Your car was a bargain

and the insurance.......

£180 fully comp is cheaper than my smart

Signed 'A Pinto Owner'

ecsjwhi2

posted on 11/10/06 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of years ago there was definitely a firm developing an electrically powered Tiger Cat.

Can't find any reference to it on the internet now.

Cheers
JohnW

[Edited on 11/10/06 by ecsjwhi2]

wilkingj

posted on 11/10/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
Rover V8 designed for moving 2 ton of range rover.
regards Agriv8

Hmmm A history Lesson is in order here.

GM experimented with aluminum engines starting in the early 1950s, and work on a production unit commenced in 1956.

Although dropped by GM in 1963, in January 1965 the tooling for the aluminum engine was sold to Britain's Rover Group to become the Rover V8 engine and it was fitted it to the RoverP5(b), P6, and the Land / Range Rovers. It would remain in use for more than 35 years. GM tried to buy it back later on, but Rover declined, instead offering to sell engines back to GM. GM refused this offer.

However, originally it was standard equipment in the 1961 Buick Special and the Buick Special Skylark.
Oldsmobile and Pontiac also used the all-aluminum 215 on its mid-sized cars, the Oldsmobile F-85 and Pontiac Tempest.

It may be old, but its an excellent engine weighing in at only a few kgs more than a Pinto. Its got real Lazy power, and is an excellent and well proved engine.
Mine pulls 120+ Mph, I chickened out going any faster, 120 is good enough for me. Theroretically it should do approx 145mph.

Its doing 2800 Rpm at 70Mph, ie sensible cruising, and returns 25Mpg at 70 / 80mph on the motorway. Less in town though.
It will overtake most cars with consumate ease.

Its a cracking Boat Anchor

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Browser

posted on 11/10/06 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Worst thing about the Rover V8 is that Rover never did any serious deveopment work on the heads. If they'd come up with better ones they'dve probably got a lot more power out of it.
Odd choices? Mercedes 6 cyl? Triumph 6 cyl? 1750cc B series BL (Marina/Ital). Vauxhall 2.0l CIH from a mark1 Cavalier. I can't understand why when the Pinto ruled the roost the Vauxhall Carlton's in the scrappies weren't being raided as they had a rwd engine/gearbox combo which would've mad most kits of the 80's shift quite nicely. Back to the thread, any Saab motor (not heard of one being used but you never know). Jaguar XK or AJP. Can't think of any more at the mo.

caber

posted on 11/10/06 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
how about the Golf GTI 8 valve, the 16 valve theV6 or the G60?

All good long livede engines, the early ones are cheap if attached to a rust bucket and there are loads of tuning parts available. Also a real interesting challenge to turn them to drive a back axle!
caber

Jonte

posted on 12/10/06 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
how about the Golf GTI 8 valve, the 16 valve theV6 or the G60?

All good long livede engines, the early ones are cheap if attached to a rust bucket and there are loads of tuning parts available. Also a real interesting challenge to turn them to drive a back axle!
caber

yeah I wonder about that. How come there´s never a VW, audi or Mercedes engine in a locost. Except in Donkervoorts of course.

Click it

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.