Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How do I solder aluminium
smart51

posted on 17/10/06 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
How do I solder aluminium

I've tried it with conventional solder and with silver solder, using a gas flame. The solder just forms small spheres and doesn't stick. Do I need a special solder or flux? what and where can I get it?
David Jenkins

posted on 17/10/06 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Aluminium won't take regular solder - the metal forms a very tough oxide before the solder can make an alloy.

There are 2 main alternatives:

1. Welding - a major skill, and too hard to describe here!

2. There is a special soldering system called Lumiweld - you can buy a sample kit that comes with some special solder, a stainless steel brush and some instructions. I've used it, and the results aren't bad. Wouldn't use it for something structural, but good enough for most jobs (I think it uses a zinc alloy as the solder). If you have a BOC shop in your town then they sell it, or you could try

Frosts

NS Dev

posted on 17/10/06 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
is this for a radiator?

I've used lumiweld satisfactorily on these before to make bleed nipple bosses etc.

got a tig now so no probs but used it in the past

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

02GF74

posted on 17/10/06 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Lumiweld and Techoweld - comes in sticks, you heat up the work piece, rub the stick on so it melts then poke away with the stainless steel rod to break through the oxide.

It alloys with the alumimuim and if done properly is meant to be stronger than the original material

Aluminium is extremely good conductor of heat so if your workpieces are large, your teeny plumbers torch won't be able to supply enough heat - place a tray on top of a kitchen hob or camping stove.

RazMan

posted on 17/10/06 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a demo of this at one of the shows last year - quite impressive. As said, you need a very powerful blowtorch to make a good 'weld' but the results are often stronger than the actual metal used

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad4x4

posted on 17/10/06 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Used technoweld years ago. works well but needs abit of skill . quite dear.

B&Q used to stock technoweld or similar uner there own brand usually near the compressors and tools.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

stevec

posted on 17/10/06 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen Technoweld used. Its pretty good.
Steve.

MikeRJ

posted on 17/10/06 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
You can get special solder for aluminium, it's often used for soldering wires onto the backs of solar panels. It's still not as easy as normal tin/lead solder to work with.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=3952&QV=Y

02GF74

posted on 18/10/06 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
You can get special solder for aluminium, it's often used for soldering wires onto the backs of solar panels.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=3952&QV=Y

that's really weird - I knew I had seen that but search on Maplins did not throw it up; thought I was going mad but see that I was right all along.

***** NOTE - it has been discontinued hence maybe why the search failed?

To repair brimabright - land rover alumium based body panels - there is a corrosive flux that is used when welding - I'm sure this would help with soldering, how good the result would be I don't know. All traces of the flux need to be washed off.

[Edited on 18/10/06 by 02GF74]

MikeRJ

posted on 18/10/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
***** NOTE - it has been discontinued hence maybe why the search failed?

Oops, didn;t notice that. Try Chronos.

I have ordered quite a bit of stuff from Chronos and they have always provided an excellent service.

[Edited on 18/10/06 by MikeRJ]

smart51

posted on 18/10/06 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I bought some aluminium rods from B&Q today. They didn't have the "kit" and only sold the rods in twos. I had a quick go just now and soldered about 50mm of pipe to a 0.5mm sheet. Its quite easy really and the joint is stronger than the [admittedly thin] sheet. It didn't seem to joint to copper too well but I can live with that. I need to get some more rods as they use up quite quickly then I'm away. Thanks everyone.
NS Dev

posted on 19/10/06 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
If you need anything welding up I am not too far away (near hinckey) and can always TIG it up for you (obviously copper included, but not to ally! )

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

wilkingj

posted on 19/10/06 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Clean the surface with a stainless steel wire brush (if you have one) first.

Be careful with the heat, as its easy to melt the workpiece... Been there with my excellent blowlamp

Both lumi and Techno weld are good products but require a little skill as ally melts easilt with too much geat.

A little practice is needed first, and pay attention to the heat you are applying as much as the solder and stainless abrading roc (stirring stick!)

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johnjulie

posted on 19/10/06 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
HTS 2000 is one of the latest to appear on the market, doesn't require the stainless brush etc. Not cheap though!
Have a look on google, there are some good videos of it being used.
I intend buying some direct from the US, much cheaper, even with the postage.
Cheers John

JFDI
"Just F*****G Do It"

dern

posted on 21/10/06 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Can you build fuel tanks using sheet ally and lumiweld or would it not be strong enough or leak proof enough?

Ta,

Mark

R1 (2003 FI) powered Locost in progress
Fireblade/Impreza

RazMan

posted on 21/10/06 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
There is some interesting info on the HTS range here.

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

johnjulie

posted on 22/10/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
For a fuel tank, you need a professional tig welder. It should also be pressure tested when complete. The actual welding wouldn't cost much, it's the time taken to fabricate the tank.
Don't skimp on safety!!!!
Cheers John

JFDI
"Just F*****G Do It"

02GF74

posted on 23/10/06 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dern
Can you build fuel tanks using sheet ally and lumiweld or would it not be strong enough or leak proof enough?

I reckon it is doable - but it would cost you a fair bit in rods and gas - you'd need a pretty hefty blow torch though.

NS Dev

posted on 23/10/06 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
would be a pain and a mess

RazMan

posted on 23/10/06 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I wouldn't risk my life for a few extra quid getting it TIG'd

Cheers,
Raz

dern

posted on 23/10/06 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Fair points. I'll keep saving for the tig kit.

Regards,

Mark

Fireblade/Impreza

NS Dev

posted on 24/10/06 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
how's the locost coming along dern? haven't been on the westie forum for a bit now, you still on there a bit?

re. ally welding, I need to sit down and get to grips with it, got the kit to do it now but just not had the time and don't make the mistake of thinking that once you have an AC tig the ally welds itself, I have found it pretty tricky and I can weld stainless steel perfectly!!!

dern

posted on 25/10/06 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
how's the locost coming along dern? haven't been on the westie forum for a bit now, you still on there a bit?
Thanks for asking - slowly

I fit bits of work in on it when I can and enjoy it when I do. I've got all the rear suspension installed (although awaiting a couple of axle stubs) and now need to take a deep breath and install the wishbones

I pop in to the wscc website every now and again.

Regards,

Mark

[Edited on 25/10/06 by dern]

Fireblade/Impreza

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.