Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Toyota Tercel 4WD?
millenniumtree

posted on 3/11/06 at 03:14 AM Reply With Quote
Toyota Tercel 4WD?

http://madison.craigslist.org/car/229364367.html

TWO cars for $400!!

What could I use from these babies? 4WD transmission?, rear axle? Hubs?

Hmm, in doing more research:

4wd transmission is 1 unit, front axle near the back of the engine, with a solid rear axle in the back

The engine is less than 80hp, so nothing in the driveline is that strong.

Selectable 4wd, probably locks up the front and rear shafts, making turning at high speed rather scary.

Hubs and steering rack may be useful.

Since I really want to get a 160hp engine with an independent rear, I probably shouldn't bother with buying two rust buckets that I can use hubs and steering rack off of.

Unless I'm missing something fantastic that I can get off of these? Anyone?

[Edited on 3/11/06 by millenniumtree]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
akumabito

posted on 3/11/06 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Well, you could build an off-road Seven!

goodall

posted on 4/11/06 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
i'm about 2 start building a locost 7 AWD but i'm not sure how simple this would be 2 achieve because of the front surspenion.

does anyone know of a sutiable AWD car as a donor. i really want a drive train that can take more that 100 bhp as i'm thinking about useing an adui 5 or maybe if i can find a V6 of sum sort. i was thinking about a sierra 4x4 but i'm not sure if it a permenant all wheel drive system.

[Edited on 4/11/06 by goodall]

akumabito

posted on 5/11/06 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goodall
i'm about 2 start building a locost 7 AWD but i'm not sure how simple this would be 2 achieve because of the front surspenion.

does anyone know of a sutiable AWD car as a donor. i really want a drive train that can take more that 100 bhp as i'm thinking about useing an adui 5 or maybe if i can find a V6 of sum sort. i was thinking about a sierra 4x4 but i'm not sure if it a permenant all wheel drive system.

[Edited on 4/11/06 by goodall]

Pretty much all AWD sedans (not offroad vehicles) have permanent 4WD I believe. The Sierra 4x4 uses an AWD version of the MT75 transmission. I believe there's someone here who uses the RWD version of the same gearbox and mated it to a V6 engine..

goodall

posted on 5/11/06 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
so my next question is; does anyone know if ford used a viscous coupling, a clutch or hopefully a diff in the middle power split after the gearbox?

i know that a lot of manufactures used a viscous coupling or a clutch rather than a diff as the central power split, and since a viscous coupling or a clutch isn't a permanent drive, it really isn't as effective as a diff. i'm only aware of audi useing a diff in the middle but their gearbox is unsuitable.

[Edited on 5/11/06 by goodall]

79 civic

posted on 7/11/06 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
you could use just about any subaru.... impreza or legacy. impreza being the smaller of the two.
iank

posted on 7/11/06 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by akumabito
Well, you could build an off-road Seven!

Nice picture, you can already buy 7 style cars for classic trials that look similar (though only 2wd)

Troll for example:

goodall

posted on 7/11/06 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
i could, but subarus would cost too much!

does anyone have pictures or a subaru gearbox??

Liam

posted on 7/11/06 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Subarus are like audis in that the front diff is in the gearbox so the engine is infront of the front axle. Useless for a 7.
The ford system is decent with three proper diffs, the centre and rear being limited slip, and 2/3 of power to the rear. The only other systems i know of that would be suitable (i.e. the front diff is separate and can be moved infront of the engine) are the rare 4WD BMW 3 and 5 series and nissan skyline. But ford most suitable and easiest and cheapest to find.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
goodall

posted on 7/11/06 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
ah right i didn't kno the spilt wasn't 50:50 i was hopen that maybe it wasen't but didn't know. that makes me want 2 use a sierra gearbox all the more now because she'll be a good bit tale happy still with out goin out of control be yond my abilites too quickly
79 civic

posted on 14/11/06 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
you could use the newer sti transmission which lets you vary the power split a tad
Marcus

posted on 14/11/06 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Is it me, or does that 'off road' 7 picture have a little 'something'?
I quite like the idea - Hmmmm.......

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

akumabito

posted on 14/11/06 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
Is it me, or does that 'off road' 7 picture have a little 'something'?
I quite like the idea - Hmmmm.......

I know! I like it!

goodall

posted on 26/11/06 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Porsche Carrera 4 uses the audi system, but the engine is in the boot and the gearbox mounted diff becomes the rear diff and the rear diff becumes the front diff

[Edited on 26/11/06 by goodall]

Arthur Dent

posted on 27/11/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the bolt pattern is 4x100 which would match nicely to some Miata front spindles ... nothing else jumps out as super useful.

(the Tercel has struts at the front).

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.