Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aluminum Composite Sheet
chriscook

posted on 10/12/06 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Aluminum Composite Sheet

I was planning on using carbon fibre for a new dashboard but the price is rather off putting. In looking for alternatives I stumbled on this aluminium composite sheet. Its two thin (0.3mm) sheets of black ali sandwiching a polyethylene core. Has anyone any experience of this material and if it'll work well for a dash.

Cheers,
Chris

[Edited on 10/12/06 by chriscook]

BenB

posted on 10/12/06 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Looks okay to me You can get similar stuff with plastic facing on it. Its pretty stiff and strong (and light).
As long as you need a flat sheet it's okay. Bending angles is tricky, curves pretty impossible...
The bottom of the dash would obviously need to made from something else then....

chriscook

posted on 10/12/06 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Already passed SVA so don't need a rolled edge Although I would quite like one to finish off the lower edge.
Humbug

posted on 10/12/06 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Looks OK but you would have a hard time making a dash from a piece only 390mm x 100mm
madman280

posted on 10/12/06 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen some of this stuff. Is a very non structural product. Is 3mm thick but only has 0.3mm aluminum skins. I would imagine if a start button or signal switch were mounted on it it would deform as it was used. You might still need to re-inforce behind with aluminum sheet.
Kook

posted on 10/12/06 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
No this stuff is very good stuff its very strong and very easy to work with ... I am making all my alli stuff with it as my mate can get me it cheap.

Mike R-F

posted on 10/12/06 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Stuff your talking about goes by the trade name of Dibond (one of many manufacturers). It is very strong & light. Comes (generally) in 3 or 5mm. 3 is plenty strong enough for a dash. I've just used it for a large quantity of signage on a projest I've designed & installed for a local authority. Easy to cut, too. Excellent stuff!
erwe

posted on 11/12/06 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
I have used it for the bottom 4 mm and also 2 mm. It is very strong and easy to cut or drill. You can't bend it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
soggy 3

posted on 11/12/06 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
I used it where i used to work there is dibond the thinner stuff and alucobond which is a bit thicker i have made my dash out of alucobond its realy good stuff and at about £50 a square metre(or out the back door) not cheep to buy .
chriscook

posted on 11/12/06 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like this could be good stuff - I have emailed the seller and asked for an off-cut to get a look at it. I may try dropping down to a signs place and see if they have any.

My preferred material is still carbon sheet but its too expensive. I don't want a vinyl, plain ally or wood dash. If I try and paint a sheet of ali I don't think I'll get a great finish and it'll probably scratch easily.

The ebay seller does sheets in 1x1.5m for £52 +postage. I'll see if he can do 1.5x0.5m and what the damage will be.

madman280

posted on 23/12/06 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kook
No this stuff is very good stuff its very strong and very easy to work with ... I am making all my alli stuff with it as my mate can get me it cheap.

I wouldn't mind checking out a small off cut. The stuff out local signmaker showed me seemed to dent very easily and he recomended not using it. I should have known there is more than one type and grade. Applogies, my comment wasn't meant to mislead, guess we live and learn everyday.

chriscook

posted on 23/12/06 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to get a few small offcuts from my local sign place and it seems pretty good, although he only had it in white easily on hand. The core is a lot denser than I was expecting actually.

I can't dent it with thumb pressure but can with a screwdriver. It is nice and stiff but can bend it in my hands but its not very easy and does so to quite a large radius. It weighs approx the same as 1.3mm ali sheet.

I think I'm going to give it a try in the new year. He wanted approx £25 for a sheet 600x1200x3.

The ebay seller never go back to me so they lose out..

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.