Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Just to settle an argument
novacaine

posted on 16/1/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just to settle an argument

im "debating" with my friend over two cars,

what do you think would get around SPA quicker, a 380BHP Evo or a 200HP locost.

the locost has a lower center of gravity so i would assume that it would take the Evo around the corners and it has a much better BHP/Weight ratio so i would assume it would accelerate quicker but as discussed previously the evo would probably take the locost after 100mph.

my friend thinks the evo would be better all round, who do you think is right?

Cheers

Matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

novacaine

posted on 16/1/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
oh yea i forgot to add, the Locost in the argument is a CEC

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 16/1/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
locost would be quicker i think

that evo would be a turbo, which would close the power difference gap a bit if the locost was na, apparantly.

locost could out brake and out accelerate the evo i would imagine. only be better on high speed i think due to aero problems.

i don't know spa by the way

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

nitram38

SPA is a "long" circuit where straight line power is king.
I think that the 380bhp will win.
If you have a short or very twisty circuit, then I think the locost would win.

ch1ll1

depends who built the locost
evo

[Edited on 16/1/07 by ch1ll1]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 16/1/07 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
ahh then it would be closer and only because of aerodynamics

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

coozer

posted on 16/1/07 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
OOo, I think the Evo will win. With it having 4 wheel drive and all the electronic sh1t you don't have to slow down for corners, just chuck it in and the computer gets you round the corner

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Hellfire

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
This is SPA

The Evo - easy! Too fast a track for a locost!!

Steve

emsfactory

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go with the evo.
russbost

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Gotta be the Evo. Spa is a fast circuit with some long straights - a CEC Locost is going to run into a (soft) brickwall at around 120-130mph & over the ton will be slow to get any quicker. The Evo will only have to slow down for the Bus Stop!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coozer

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just want to add a bit more, I don't think a normal Locost will out accelerate the Evo.

In the passenger seat I saw the speedo in a work mates Evo6 go to 120mph from the bottom of the slip road to joining the carriageway a split second later. Seriously fast things they are

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

JoelP

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
would we all agree though that a busa powered radical would probably blow the evo away?!
Confused but excited.

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Oh Yes !

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Johnmor

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Bad track for a locost

I think the evo may have the edge, but its not the most aerodynamic car either.
I saw alocost (1.7 cross flow) beat a 350 bhp scubby at a local track day. beat it by almost 7 sec in a 1.55 ish lap.

But the top speed never got past 90mph.

Spa is a fast track but that hill, Eau Rouge, is an absolute corker, walked the track after the 2004 GP. Ill bet 4x4 or not the Evo driver would shit it at the top and never take it flat.

The hill must be a 1in 4 or even steeper, would be awsome in a locost flat out.

nitram38

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
I think that the locoster would sh!t it too!!!!!!!
shades

posted on 16/1/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Locost... The Evo would need a service before it completed a lap

Thanks
Adrian

iank

posted on 16/1/07 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
The answer of course is 'it depends' partly on weight but mostly on who is driving.

Better all round is an interesting idea. The evo certainly doesn't handle, stop or accelerate (I'm assuming it weighs more than 1000kg) as well as the locost could if put together well from the right bits and set up properly. What it does win on is aerodynamics, driver comfort and weather protection.

[Edited on 16/1/07 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/1/07 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Evo by a mile, because it would belong to someone else and I could thrash it to death without a worry, I would have too much mechanical sympathy for my own car.

Seriously though, my car would out handle an evo at sub 100mph speeds, but it becomes a brick at that speed and is an unknown quantity if hounding into corners with the airflow trying to throw the car into the clouds.

I think the evo would have it due to aerodynamics alone, but the se7en would have it on a smiles per mile point of view

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Simon

posted on 16/1/07 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
So, the general concensus seems to be the Evo.

Only one thing needed. A locost with 380 bhp.

No contest.

ATB

Simon

PS I know where there's a 380bhp donor

James

posted on 16/1/07 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon

PS I know where there's a 380bhp donor

I know where there's a (over) 380bhp Locost!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

chockymonster

posted on 16/1/07 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Which evo though and what got it to 380 brake?

THe RS is flat out at 120 and is very short geared, the GSR is more animal cruisy but still 'kin quick.

I don't think it would be as clear cut as you think, the evo isn't a straight line car, it gets its speed from brutal acceleration (mine being a lardy GSR did 0-60 in 4.8, uphill timed on a V-Box) and traction out of the corners.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alister667

posted on 16/1/07 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Probably the Evo. As has been said the track is quick, mind you I've eaten enough of them round Kirkistown to know they aren't that good at going round corners (they weigh 1500kgs odd). Their acceleration up to about 90-100 is OK.
The key point is that with the money saved from building the locost you could build your own racetrack :-)

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 17/1/07 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
Id have took him in my r1 BEC

bit fairs fair were talking about a 12-20k Jap Car here to have 380 brake

so i could build one evil zx14r car for that there would be no competition

chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 17/1/07 at 01:50 AM Reply With Quote
My money would be on the EVO,on that track,round cadwell park it may be a different story,but those EVO'S are monsters,look at the figures on the fq400, 0 to 62mph in 3.5 seconds,175mph,but your looking at £46,000 your average locost is less than 10% of that,and it would still give the EVO a good run for its moneythats the point of the argument that needs to be made.
Middy Tim

posted on 17/1/07 at 02:14 AM Reply With Quote
Call Top Gear. Get The Stig to SPA, give him the keys to both cars, let him have at it. We'll know pretty quickly after that.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.