Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dog Pee Detector?
RazMan

posted on 21/6/07 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Dog Pee Detector?

My mother in law's dog is a lovely little character but he insists on peeing everywhere inside the house I have found a couple of wet patches on the carpet and cleaned them up but I know I am missing some of his other 'mistakes' and the smell is getting quite offensive.

Short of getting down on all fours and sniffing the carpet ( yes, I have done this) I wondered if there is anything like a spray which will make the urine stand out more so I can identify and clean it more effectively.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoobyis2cool

posted on 21/6/07 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
On CSI they sometimes use a UV torch with a special yellow filter that they look through to detect 'bodily fluids'. Not sure if it works for that particular fluid but you never know! No idea how expensive the things are to buy but if they're too expensive just call the police and tell them someone has been murdered in your house. And then think of a damn good story to explain the lack of a body...

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nib1980

posted on 21/6/07 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
cat wee is visible under a black light, but not sure if it's the same for dogs? sorry
RazMan

posted on 21/6/07 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Ahh I didn't think about the UV light thing - I did a search on eBay and found a hand held UV light for under a tenner - sorted!

Thanks guys

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

speedyxjs

posted on 21/6/07 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried training mats to stop the dog peeing on the carpet?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

RazMan

posted on 21/6/07 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
He's a 13 year old Yorkie and he's a bit too old to do what he is told now. Unfortunately my mother in law is not the most assertive of dog trainers and he basically does what he wants ..... wherever he wants to do it

If he was my dog he wouldn't make more than a few 'mistakes' before he learned where to pee

How do you train a mat anyway?

Cheers,
Raz

thunderace

posted on 21/6/07 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
easy to stop a do pissing on any thing rub orange peal on it
all dogs hate it.
IT WORKS
PS A 13 year old Yorkie WILL NEED OUT A LOT ITS ITS BLADER I WOULD SAY.

RazMan

posted on 21/6/07 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
This dog loves tangerines! Also curry, red wine, raw fruit and vegetables too ........ strange little mutt

[Edited on 21-6-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

scoobyis2cool

posted on 21/6/07 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
This dog loves tangerines! Also curry, red wine, raw fruit and vegetables too ........ strange little mutt

With a diet like that no wonder it pi**es everywhere!

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

iank

posted on 21/6/07 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Just be thankful it doesn't take a dump on the carpet with that diet. Red wine and curry stains never come out.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

arrybradbury

posted on 21/6/07 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Nappies are your friend
awinter

posted on 21/6/07 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
We had a dog that ate tangerines but a proper jaffa orange peel bent so the juice sprays out would have him sneezing. Dogs don't like the citrus oil in the skin.
We have a rotti that likes beer, lager, wine, curry, cucumber, lettuce, tamato etc. But she won't eat celery. Loves Icecream, custard and we left a sugar bowl out and she ate the sugar too.
13 ofr a yorkie is not that old and maybe use of a water pistol every time its pees could cure it.

stevec

posted on 21/6/07 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Now theres a thing, incontinence pants for dogs.
You could call them puggies

MikeRJ

posted on 21/6/07 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Our mutt (actualy wifes mutt, ex-liverpool street dog she felt sorry for when she worked up there) pees constantly in the house, usualy but not always near the front door when a guest arrives.

Even though I love animals (we have 2 cats as well, and a beautiful collie that sadly died a few years back), I am pretty much at the end of my tether with him, and everytime it happens I get closer to taking him to the vets to put him out of my misery.

He's ~12 years old, a mix of Staffy and Alsation about the size of a small staffy, with gormless looks. Pointless taking him to cats and dogs home as no-one will want him. Any tips before I throttle the little b'stard?

[Edited on 21/6/07 by MikeRJ]

locoboy

posted on 21/6/07 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Distraction techniques

What is your dog doing greeting people at the front door anyway?

It is YOUR house not the dogs, YOU greet people at the door and the dog gets to meet them LATER if YOU decide to let the dog meet them.

Your dog thinks people are coming into ITS house and then marks its territory to reinforce the fact.

Make the dog realise it is not ITS house and it will be far more accepting of people coming into YOUR house.

Funny creatured but there is a way around 99.9% of their traits if you think latterally and logically - but patience and persiverance are you best tools.

Good luck

ATB
Locoboy

02GF74

posted on 21/6/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
black pepper instead of the tangerines may help.
also silver foil - they don;t like the sound the wee makes plus it splashes.

MikeRJ

posted on 21/6/07 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoboy
Distraction techniques

What is your dog doing greeting people at the front door anyway?

His bed is in the hallway not far from the door. Don't really have space to put it anywhere else without it getting in the way as house isn't very big. It's really not ideal as he also attacks any mail comming through the letter box, and will ignore any commands to stop it other than physical restraint. Wife tried to keep him outside in a kennel in Liverpool but he just barked all night.

I find it odd that two dogs brought up togther (i.e. him and the collie) can be so different. The collie was the most obedient, gentle and loving dog I have ever met and would do anything to please us. The other one has always been anti-social in one respect or the other, and very difficult to train. The wife suspects he was abused as a puppy by kids in Liverpool which probably has some bearing on this.

locoboy

posted on 21/6/07 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
The wife suspects he was abused as a puppy by kids in Liverpool which probably has some bearing on this.

It probably does but as i said patience and perseverance are key.

My GF wanted a dog (so did i) but i wanted her to leave it until i was well into the build of my car because to have a well trained pleasant dog takes up an enormous amount of time and i didn't have time to do both.

I spent hours stopping my dog running straight over to the pet rabbit run every time she was let out the door. this was her instinct as she is from pedegree working strain.

It ended up where she would not run over when i let her out but when GF let her out she would run straight over. I stopped it by hiding round the corner everytime she was let out and jumping out the bushes and scaring her when she was en route to the rabbit run. a weeks worth of that and she only did it very occasionally there after.

Similarly, i never ever let my dog out/in the door before me, sometimes even reinforcing my dominance by shutting the door on her and leaving her outside for a minute or 2 beffore i let her in. They soon learn and now she will sit automatically at each door awaiting instruction whether too come in or if no instruction follows she will just sit and wait.

The hardest thing to change is what they get up to when your not there as you cant replicate the situation for training - my dog scrathec to get out when left alone - not thought up what to do about that one yet!

ATB
Locoboy

mistergrumpy

posted on 21/6/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Elastic band and a condom. Let them drag a full one of them around, they can hold pints

Chippy

posted on 21/6/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sure cure, half an ounce of lead behind the left ear....................Put there with a 38 automatic.......... Now that aint going to make any friends. Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

davie h

posted on 21/6/07 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
connect the carpet to the mains and when the dog takes a pee it will get the shock of its life

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.