Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smokey cars on the road
dhollin3

posted on 21/6/07 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Smokey cars on the road

I have just phoned up Swansea for an SVA re-test and there was an option on the recorded message saying - if you would like to report a car that is smokey. I didn't think that this was possible.

I have seen so many old cars that are pumping out blue smoke that stink, now i know what i might do next time a see a poluting car on the road.
Tel: 0870 60 60 440

RazMan

posted on 21/6/07 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
That'll be 90% of all the chipped diesels then - God they stink

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhollin3

posted on 21/6/07 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Have you ever seen a diesel that has ever stetched its legs for the first time after it has only ever done City driving? OMG, it's like watching James Bond.

I remember a VW Toureg V10 diesel trying to race me down the outside lane of the M40, the black trail went for about a mile!!!

minordelay

posted on 21/6/07 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Few old Trannys round here that are frying tonight. Ran my T4 on bio for a tankful but it ran badly and made it smell like a pikey van.
dhollin3

posted on 21/6/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote

eh !!! my golf is chipped and there was no "sooting" before or after I chipped it.

Lift the engine cover of a Smokey car, and you will usually find it's got a blue oval stamped on it.....

Maybe on an old TD unit, but not on the new TDCI ones. They are brilliant and equally as good as any other! IMO

balidey

posted on 21/6/07 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhollin3

I remember a VW Toureg V10 diesel trying to race me down the outside lane of the M40, the black trail went for about a mile!!!

Can we all start reporting these big 'non-off-roaders' to the DVLA now?

Anyone know what happens? Is it three reports and the car gets scrapped

Or just a letter to the owner?

Or absolutly sod all as its just a gimick to please the 'anti-car lobby'???

scottc

posted on 21/6/07 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Does it count if the drivers smoking?
arrybradbury

posted on 21/6/07 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
If he has passengers in the car it becomes illegal from July 1st IIRC (feel free to correct if i've missed something!)!
awinter

posted on 21/6/07 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Any TDi I have seen when reaching the upper end of the rev range start to chuck out black smoke, new or old. The only way they could not do this is if they have a particulate filter like the lemans diesels. Audis seem to be the worst, but maybe that because there are loads of em around.
BenB

posted on 21/6/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arrybradbury
If he has passengers in the car it becomes illegal from July 1st IIRC (feel free to correct if i've missed something!)!

I thought only if its a taxi, bus (or other form of public transportation) or a work van / car. Otherwise it's okay (IIRC...). Still, I'd be happy if they banned them all together. I've seen to many nice people pop their clogs early due to those addictive little sticks-'o-doom....

speedyxjs

posted on 21/6/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Uh oh
One of our vans chucks out blue smoke for the first few miles of driving (dodgey injectors i think) what happens if you phone the number? Our van passed its MOT Ok.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

locoboy

posted on 21/6/07 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Public is the key word.

Your car is not a public place unless it is a company car and there is reasonable justification for another employee or a member of the public (mechanic during servicing) to be in your car - even when your not in it.

The lorries i run are deemed to be public places as our main dealers mechanics are expected to get into them to service and road test them and from the 1st July they can rightfully refuse to do so because the driver has been smoking in it.

Petty i know but i agree with it to be honest.

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:
Originally posted by arrybradbury

I thought only if its a taxi, bus (or other form of public transportation) or a work van / car. Otherwise it's okay (IIRC...). Still, I'd be happy if they banned them all together. I've seen to many nice people pop their clogs early due to those addictive little sticks-'o-doom....

ATB
Locoboy

Impact301

posted on 21/6/07 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Best not be seen driving my smokey nissan about then! I think that is what they mean, over the top smoke. When you pull up at a junction, the car is surrounded by smoke, which is dangerous to other road users. And when it smokes when you are on the road, the car behind usually backs off abit! TDI's do smoke true, but if the engines ok, its only when being driven hard and it dosnt make a smoke screen that you cant see through, just a bit more pollution!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.