Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 speedo sender
shades

posted on 29/8/07 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 speedo sender

My speedo's not working... I have a type 9 gearbox and using the cable drive to a tiger speedo. I have disconnected the cable from the speedo and gone for a spin. The problem is that the cable is not turning, I have checked that it is still connected at the gearbox end and it is.

Any suggestions? I dont fancy having to take the gearbox out :-(

Thanks
Adrian

worX

posted on 29/8/07 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just get a new speedo cable, it is held in by a circlip.

It may be worn down or broken?

Steve

shades

posted on 29/8/07 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Its a new speedo cable I have. The gearbox is an unknown quantity. All I have done is pushed the cable into the box and fitted the clip to hold in place...

Thanks
Adrian

jollygreengiant

posted on 29/8/07 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Did you fit it gearbox end first and then try rotating speedo end inner to see if it is engaged.????

If this is so and the inner cable turns then either the cable has broken OR the internal driver gear is missing or (most unusually) broken.

Is there a metal cap on the opposite side to where the cable clips in.

If no metal cap then is there a driver gear inside. If no then get new driver gear AND metal closing cap (you will find that there are I believe 3 different colours reflecting the three different ratio possibilities, White, Blue and I think red or green, come to that there might be 4)

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 29/8/07 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

shades

posted on 29/8/07 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, The speedo end of the cable wont turn with my fingers so think it must be engaged into something...

I'm not sure what i am looking for in terms of a driver gear. I had fitted the gearbox before I remembered the cable so had a bit of fun trying to get the cable and clip in place.

"Is there a metal cap on the opposite side to where the cable clips in" do you mean the opposite side of the gear box? Sorry Im confused...

Thanks
Adrian

jollygreengiant

posted on 29/8/07 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shades
Thanks, The speedo end of the cable wont turn with my fingers so think it must be engaged into something...

I'm not sure what i am looking for in terms of a driver gear. I had fitted the gearbox before I remembered the cable so had a bit of fun trying to get the cable and clip in place.

"Is there a metal cap on the opposite side to where the cable clips in" do you mean the opposite side of the gear box? Sorry Im confused...

If the cable won't turn then either it is seized OR it is engaged in the driven gear. To check, with speedo end of cable disconnected and visible start car and drive for a short distance and check the cable rotates. If it rotates then the problem is at the speedo.
If it doesn't rotate then you can or should be able to pull inner cable out of outer cable from speedo end. If you can not pull it out then you will need to remove the cable from the gearbox. The good news is that it is possible that when you fitted the cable , you got the inner cable trapped between the driver and the outer casing. Hopefully it will be ok and you should be able to re use it. First of all with the cable disconnected pull the inner cable from the outer at the speedo end. Refit just the outer to the gearbox. Then fit the inner cable back into the outer until it locks into the driver in the gearbox. Test rotation by short drive then refit to speedo. and you should have a working speedo.
If inner cable is damage or seized in outer case then you will need another new cable. Fit new cable as above, it takes a bit longer but is a much more certain method.

The metal cap is on the gear box but on the direct opposite side to where the cable clips in. It is about an inch/25mm in diameter and it hold the driven/driver gear into the box.

Hope this helps.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

mad4x4

posted on 29/8/07 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Dump the cable sender unit and go for a magnet pickup off of the prop or one of the half shaft.
I failed my sva due to a crap speedo (plus a few other things)

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

shades

posted on 30/8/07 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

Great advice on the cable, will try later and let you know. I have the speedo already so will keep trying with the cable rather than moving to an electronic one...

Thanks
Adrian

shades

posted on 30/8/07 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yea, speedo working now

Thanks again...

Thanks
Adrian

thefreak

posted on 10/9/07 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
Dump the cable sender unit and go for a magnet pickup off of the prop or one of the half shaft.
I failed my sva due to a crap speedo (plus a few other things)

how difficult is it to move to a magnetic pickup from the cable sender?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.