Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tintop - Clutch going?
arrybradbury

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Tintop - Clutch going?

I've got a '97 vw polo 1.9D with 110k on the clock. I think the biting point is quite high but is there a way of seeing if this is the clutch without taking it apart and if it is the clutch - seeing as most of the driving i'm doing at the moment isn't far from where i'm living (so i wouldn't be stranded anywhere), is it worth getting it changed or just waiting until it bites no more?? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
iceman26

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
first thing to check is the pedal box they crack and makes the pedal stiff and high
graememk

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
when mine went it just wouldnt pull in 6th gear, of you put your foot down the rpm went up and the speed went down.

yet 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th were all ok

rusty nuts

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Clutches don't normally go without warning, they often tend to drag first making getting reverse difficult and then start to slip. One of the worst habits people have is to sit in traffic with the clutch down which causes the thrust bearing to wear through the diaphragm causing sudden clutch failure . Avoid this and slipping the clutch it should last.
MikeR

posted on 18/9/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
ok, thread hijack time

what about a little judder on take up (i'm guessing oil seeping onto the clutch or the springs are wearing)

occasionally it seems like the clutch doesn't disengage, then it does with a bit of a jump (no idea - sticking hydraulics somewhere? its an astra with hydraulic clutch)

Pulls well in all gears (once a month do the 30mph in 5th and floor it trick to check).

arrybradbury

posted on 18/9/07 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I may just be being a bit paranoid because the engine revved a bit in 4th earlier but i don't know whether my foot was fully off the clutch. The biting point seems very high. Seeing as i won't be far from home at any stage, is it just worth keeping going until it slips quite badly. (Had a friend who managed to shatter his plate the other day )

Rusty nuts...i never realised sitting in traffic with clutch depressed was bad for the car...I normally do that.....I won't from now on though

02GF74

posted on 19/9/07 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arrybradbury

Rusty nuts...i never realised sitting in traffic with clutch depressed was bad for the car...I normally do that.....I won't from now on though

Bad For thje car???!?! Very much so. My frined took her month old Nissan X-trail off roading, me in my 30 yr old Land Rover and she will insist in having the clutch depressed when sationary.

Despite me telling her not to do that and the smell of burning lining, she persisted. Needless to say I had to tow her off the byway for the AA man to collect her.

so yeah, it is bad.

BenB

posted on 19/9/07 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
If it's a cable clutch you can often adjust them to get some more miles out of them....

The clutch on my tintop is knackered.....I know because the biting point is very high and it does a wierd slipping thing on pulling away- if I give it 3000 revs and slowly lift up the clutch even after I have lifted the clutch fully the car continues to accelerate even though the revs stay the same (ie as the amount of slip decreases).... Not nice

iank

posted on 19/9/07 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=71144

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

David Jenkins

posted on 19/9/07 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Bad For thje car???!?! Very much so. My frined took her month old Nissan X-trail off roading, me in my 30 yr old Land Rover and she will insist in having the clutch depressed when sationary.

Despite me telling her not to do that and the smell of burning lining, she persisted. Needless to say I had to tow her off the byway for the AA man to collect her.

so yeah, it is bad.

And it's what they teach learner drivers to do these days...

MikeR

posted on 19/9/07 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I often find myself holding the clutch down at the lights, after a few seconds i deliberately take it out of gear. Something to me isn't right about keeping the clutch down (plus i'm lazy)

Have to say i end up biting my tongue when i'm a passenger and i find someone doing what i was taught was a complete sin - holding the car on the clutch. ARRRGGHHH.

rusty nuts

posted on 19/9/07 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
It may be how learner drivers are taught these days David but I was taught differently as I guess others as well .I see the results of holding clutch down regularly.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.