Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Midtec Spyder
Scubastu

posted on 29/9/03 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Midtec Spyder

Does anyone out there remember the Midtec Spyder?

Have you or anyone you know built or bought one?
...Did you find the build easy or difficult?

What were it's good/bad points as I've heard rumours it may be returning.

suparuss

posted on 29/9/03 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
hope you dont mean this one. looks really bad to me, course, everyone to his own i spose. dont know anything about the thing myself, just looks bad Rescued attachment 726010.jpg
Rescued attachment 726010.jpg

HarriD

posted on 29/9/03 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
you could try Stuart Taylor Motorsport. I saw one there a couple of years back with a revised headlamp treatment and a Honda V twin engine in the back.

Also saw it at a kit car show some months later (edited to add - Donington 2002 I think) but not sure if it's being offered as a kit - the one I saw was a prototype / development car and I haven't seen another since.

You occasionally see one for sale in the back of one of the kit car mags too.

I remember the original launch of the car - it was reputed to handle very well and was one of a long line of "seven for the nineties" newbies, but there were some niggles with getting exactly the right gearbox, engine, bellhousing combination, and other problems. And not everyone liked its looks. I don't know any more than this, hope it helps.

Good luck...

[Edited on 29/9/03 by HarriD]

barny

posted on 29/8/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Midtec Spyder

Hi
I have a Midtec Spyder. I bought the car as a completed road-going car and used it for three months. Fast it is and it corners like nothing I have ever been in. It was exactly what I was looking for as I needed a mid-mounted car which I could fit my own body design on. I spent months on drawings and sourcing the components and have even had a one-off windscreen built by Pilkingtons to suit my new design. However time and a boat has put everything on hold and I really must sell the car. This is the perfect chassis or platform for a skilled designer to fit a bodyshell that could match anything the Italians could build. I still have the original bodyshell that could pop back on but in my opinion that would be a waste. Considering the amazing talent out in the Uk someone will not only be able to turn this into a head-turner but also something that can see off all the Dinosaurs the car industry throws at us. Anyone interested in buying it?

dream

posted on 30/8/07 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
midtec

u2u sent.
procomp

posted on 30/8/07 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ian (St motorsport ) sold the project on after he had made some improvements to various areas of the bodywork ect.

Can't remember where it went too though.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dream

posted on 31/8/07 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Midtec

Barny i am looking for a midtec for ages,i want to buy it from you.
thomas4age

posted on 16/9/07 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
2 midtecs are being rebuild in the netherlands as we speak. one is being rebuild for a custumour buy speedon carworks, including 3sge toyota 2 liter engine and UN1 gearbox,

Bas also with speedon, is currently fitting a UN1 and 4.0L 32v Lexus 1uzfe V8 into his own midtec spider, which should be quite eahhhmm adequate to make beelzebub himself soil his underpants

so Yes do remember those.....

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

john midtec

posted on 2/11/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I am looking for a midtec with a registration. The state doesn't mather
the worse the better

rdodger

posted on 23/9/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone got a Midtec through SVA/IVA?
darv

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
midtec spyder

Hi there, I have a Midtec Spyder too.
I bought it already built with a view to re-building it this winter. At the moment it has a pinto in it with about 130bhp but I've just aqquired a Focus RS engine ready for the rebuild.
Driving it about this summer has been great, it's a really well sorted chasis with potential for a lot more power. Goes round corners amazingly.
I've been trying to find someone else with one for ages. Will try and put some pics on when I can work out how.

rdodger

posted on 8/10/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have just bought a part finished kit. It needs stripping and rebuilding from scratch.
It would be great to see more pictures

It currently has a pinto with the Renault gearbox. I am thinking of fitting an Audi A4 1.8 Turbo and box. Should be good with 200bhp +

[Edited on 8/10/10 by rdodger]

interestedparty

posted on 8/10/10 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darv
Will try and put some pics on when I can work out how.

Easiest way is to host them with photobucket or one of the other free services, then put the links in your posts. If you pictures are bigger than 800x600, use the resizer that the host provides to reduce them otherwise it messes up the thread and people have to keep scrolling across to read it.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

fuoriserie1

posted on 10/10/10 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.midtec.nl/

A very good website with info and pictures on the MIDTEC

RFalconer

posted on 12/10/10 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I just bought the Honda Sp1der Midtec that HarriD refers to. I have it with Z Cars at the moment replacing the VTR engine with a Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 unit which not only being dead light produces around 195 BHP stock! THey're also putting a reverse gear mechanism in. Should be fun, and is certainly one of the nicest versions of the Midtec I've seen, with the headlight mod etc.
rdodger

posted on 12/10/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RFalconer
I just bought the Honda Sp1der Midtec that HarriD refers to. I have it with Z Cars at the moment replacing the VTR engine with a Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 unit which not only being dead light produces around 195 BHP stock! THey're also putting a reverse gear mechanism in. Should be fun, and is certainly one of the nicest versions of the Midtec I've seen, with the headlight mod etc.

Any pictures?

RFalconer

posted on 12/10/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
No pictures as yet, but I will have the car back in about 3 weeks and will post some up then, together with some performance data.
darv

posted on 19/11/10 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Midtec rebiuild

I've seen pics of that Midtec with the twin lights, makes it look much better and it's something I've thought of if I get around to a restyling project. Any idea what the lights are out of?

I'm having to upgrade the gearbox to a UN1 box rather than the satndard NG3 to cope with the torque. This box is a bit heavier and a bit bigger though and has created a couple of other issues such as the mounts, clutch arm and the driveshaft splines are a different size.
I'm also having issues with the standard inlet manifold fouling the engine mounts. Oh and I might have to move the fuel tank too. I guess that's why it's called a "project!"

Scubastu

posted on 11/2/11 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Windscreen

Looking for a windscreen for the Midtec Spyder.
Anybody know how or where I can get one?

rdodger

posted on 16/2/11 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
They are the rear screen from an old Saab. The original ones aren't laminated so not IVA friendly. I did hear someone, I think on Pistonheads had a new laminated one made.
blakep82

posted on 16/2/11 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
i sit the rear screen form a saab 96?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/2/11 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i sit the rear screen form a saab 96?

don't like the sound of that, it isn't going to stop a large stone coming through, sure even for the MOT it should be laminated

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RFalconer

posted on 16/2/11 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Pictures now posted

Hi rdodger

Finally, after weeks and months... a couple of pictures now posted. performance sub 3.5 0-60

rdodger

posted on 16/2/11 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
More pictures please!

I see Chris still has that Carver. He has been converting that for at least 2 years!

Was there a black GTM Libra there? In for a VW VR6 engine conversion?

RFalconer

posted on 16/2/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it seems work has stagnated on that project. Mind you at the pace of mine, it might be another 2 years before the carver sees light of day! That said, having myself had a Carver last year, they're really best to be kept indoors! ;-)

Should have the Spyder home tomorrow, so will be able to get so detailed high res shots to post in the coming few days.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.