Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spherical Bearing Top-hats - Ideal Material?
TimC

posted on 7/6/08 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Spherical Bearing Top-hats - Ideal Material?

Hi All

I want to get some all-in one top-hat and spacers made for my shocks and rod-ends. I've been thinking about what material to use. I don't want them to rust so ferrous steel is out. What should I use, stainless, maybe brass? I guess ali is not strong enough?

What do you think?

Thanks

TC

procomp

posted on 9/6/08 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi just speak to PROTECH and use the ones they supply as STD for use with there rose jointed dampers.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 9/6/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I want to do away with the need for washers and just have them properly spaced by one part. Hence, any other suggestions?

Thanks

road warrior

posted on 9/6/08 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Tim

I use alloy for the shocks and stainless for everything else.

[Edited on 9/6/08 by road warrior]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 9/6/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Tim so you need a top hat that fits from either side of the bearing. And fits the width of the bracket properly without the use of washers being used as spacers.

These are supplied as std from protech in brass to suit the width of bracket for your application. But i take it whoever supplied your dampers could not be bothered to supply you with the right size spacers for the MNR bracket width.

HTH cheers Matt

TimC

posted on 9/6/08 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Sonje - why use ali for the shocks if the rest is stainless?

Matt - I see, that makes more sense now.

Cheers.

TC

marc n

posted on 9/6/08 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

These are supplied as std from protech in brass to suit the width of bracket for your application

the only ones we have ever had from protech where mild steel zinc passivated ???

quote:

But i take it whoever supplied your dampers could not be bothered to supply you with the right size spacers for the MNR bracket width.

depends if you want to alter the wheelbase / stagger of your car for a given track though as your shock wouldnt be straight having done so

cheers

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
procomp

posted on 10/6/08 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi yes when fully rose jointed you can move things around by a small amount. But not on a fixed bushed setup.

But you would think that the supplier could have supplied spacers to suit the job for a production kit. But i do understand that on kits where the tolerances are quite far out you would need the option of being able to allow for correct alignment of the dampers.

I think you will find that protech do supply brass spacers to suit the application required. Well they have for the last 18 months anyhow.

HTH cheers Matt

marc n

posted on 10/6/08 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hi yes when fully rose jointed you can move things around by a small amount. But not on a fixed bushed setup.

well i thought tims is rosejointed

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
TimC

posted on 10/6/08 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
It is. It'll get sorted - Jeez, I wonder what brass prices are like?

Oh and get back in your cage Matt!

procomp

posted on 10/6/08 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Hi i will get back in my cage then . I just thought it was bad enough trying to fit the wishbones as well as struggling to fit the dampers also.

Cheers Matt

Syd Bridge

posted on 10/6/08 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n
quote:

These are supplied as std from protech in brass to suit the width of bracket for your application

the only ones we have ever had from protech where mild steel zinc passivated ???

quote:

But i take it whoever supplied your dampers could not be bothered to supply you with the right size spacers for the MNR bracket width.

Everything I've had from Protech has had brass spacers to step the sphericals down to 10mm bolts. Passivated???not according to Mr.A. at Protech

Cheers,
Syd.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.