Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting the rear fiberglass on
Arthur Dent

posted on 13/7/08 at 02:46 AM Reply With Quote
Getting the rear fiberglass on

Any ideas? I've got the rear fiberglass piece for a Luego Locost. But the darn thing would slip on. The fiberglass is too rigid to bend over the rear round bar. How did everyone else do it? Thanks. Rescued attachment 009sml.JPG
Rescued attachment 009sml.JPG

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

mistergrumpy

posted on 13/7/08 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Yep sounds just like mine. The panel wasn't square. I had to cut relief slots into the bottom where it has a 90 degree fold and I had to take a dremel to the underside of the rolled top. I had to take a lot out but be very careful as the gel coat will start to discolour then bubble the more you grind out. I was putting the bodywork on my Locost so I settled for a compromise and rolled the round chassis section that supports the top into an ovalled section. Couldn't get one piece completely round from left to right though, just have 2 'stubs' left and right.
It seems that compared to the old Luego stuff that was ultra thin and even see through in places, the new panels have been over compensated but there's too much fibreglass in places.

Paul (Notts)

posted on 13/7/08 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
My rear panlen was very tight on the underside of the chassis. Old luego used to advise you to see if there was a ridge on the underside of the chassis ( not the rear but the sides near the wheels )that could be filled down a bit to help + I cut some of the rear pannel away Aroud here) in this location to get a good fit on the top.

And yes cracked mine a little by trying to force it at first.

Paul

rusty nuts

posted on 13/7/08 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Cracked mine in the same sort of area. IIRC I drilled a hole at the end of the crack ,opened the split up and used filler when the panel was in place. a right PITA.
saigonij

posted on 13/7/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
with mine, i cut the lip off so that it was only just over the rear top bar .

then where yours has cracked - i cut slots to allow it to flex more - same on the bottom..

if you are making a rear panel - it will cover it, so its ok to cut most of the lip off.

Arthur Dent

posted on 14/7/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all - I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious before I modified it to fit. Good to know I'm not a total moron.

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.