Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steel TIG or Brazing in Hertfordshire
ko_racer

posted on 31/7/08 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Steel TIG or Brazing in Hertfordshire

I need a JIC fitting welding to my fuel rail, both steel.

Does anyone know someone good in the Hertfordshire area who would be able to do this. TIG or Brazed would be perfect.

Have tried MIG and bu**ered it up once. It's got to be right this time as I can't buy another fuel rail seperatly.

Cheers

Keith

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carlknight1982

posted on 31/7/08 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
try new holland sheet metal on the jubilee trading estate in letchworth, I got my steel cut there angles and all. (not sure the boss knew tho)

cant hurt to try it sounds like a 5 second job witha tig welder

MakeEverything

posted on 31/7/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Alroy Sheet Metals on Gunnelswood Road in Stevenage. Phone and speak to Dave, and say Richard told you about them!!
They do all sorts, and will hopefully be able to help me on a few bits soon....

[Edited on 31/7/08 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

02GF74

posted on 31/7/08 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
clean up the metal and do it uself : plumbers solder with a blow torch?

ko_racer

posted on 31/7/08 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I tried the plumbers solder but it just doesn't seem strong enough once I start doing up the JIC fitting.

I even tried brazing it with Propane/Butane mix and some suitable filler rod. Even when I got it cherry red hot it still wouldn't melt the rod. Don't really want to buy a MAPP gun just for this job.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hadders

posted on 31/7/08 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
John at Brooklands Welding Services in Welwyn Garden City (AL7 2BH). 01707 323483. Absolutely top bloke who can weld anything. Was a welding tutor for years. Has a small unit stacked full of top pro welding gear. Last time I was there he let me have a go on his TIG setup. Unbelievable quality. About £9k's worth if I remember rightly!

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

HTH

paulf

posted on 31/7/08 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Silver solder would do the job, it needs a dull red heat to flow.I have made a couple of fuel rails using it.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by ko_racer
I tried the plumbers solder but it just doesn't seem strong enough once I start doing up the JIC fitting.

I even tried brazing it with Propane/Butane mix and some suitable filler rod. Even when I got it cherry red hot it still wouldn't melt the rod. Don't really want to buy a MAPP gun just for this job.

Peteff

posted on 3/8/08 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ko_racerI even tried brazing it with Propane/Butane mix and some suitable filler rod. Even when I got it cherry red hot it still wouldn't melt the rod. Don't really want to buy a MAPP gun just for this job.

Just buy a Mapp gas cylinder, last one I bought was about £8 from B&Q and it's handy for freeing stuff off. It fits my Propane torch and will melt braze or aluminium.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.