Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: repairing tin top paintwork
adam1985

posted on 3/9/08 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
repairing tin top paintwork

hi all ive recently filled sanded and sprayed a little scratch on my car (tin top) then have clear laquered it. it looked mint couldnt tell but when i came to clean it it feels abit rough on the sponge and now ive used some autoglym polish on it its gone a bit dull what can i do
britishtrident

posted on 3/9/08 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Very gentle T Cut then wax polish
Paul TigerB6

posted on 3/9/08 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Have you polished through the laquer layer unintentionally??
adam1985

posted on 3/9/08 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
i dont know i gave it quite a few coats of laquer making sure it was dry in between have got some of that rubbing compound but aint that for if there is a slight colour difference it'll fade it in would polishing it with a leccy buffer help
Hadders

posted on 3/9/08 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
There are a number of issues here.

Is the surafce rough to touch like sandpaper or heavily pitted? Did you flat back you last coat of lacquer with 2000 W&D? If the former then its application/ drying problem. If the latter then its likley to be heavy orange peel and you can flat and compound back to a shine. How many coats did you apply?

If you have access to a mop then use it with proper compound (Farecla G3 /G10 or Autoglym 03B/02B). You can't get the correct finish by hand.

Dullness. This is usually caused by not drying clearcoat correctly (moisture retention ' blooming) Surface will be shiny but a little dull - flat and compound by machine to sort.

or by not compounding enough ie. by hand not machine. Surface is regular matt finish with fine scratches. Compound by machine to sort.

Flatting too far and going through to basecoat will show as rings where the clearcoat finishes and the dull basecoat shows through. However, with this you would have a flat surface not a rough one.

Do not use T Cut whatever you do. Its like using a hand full of bricks compared to a handful of fine sand with proper compounding liquids. It will wreck your fresh clearcoat.

Remember when machine polishing, start with proper compound on mop. Dampen mop head. Lowest speed setting no pressure, just weigth of machine and importantly keep it moving at all times or you'll burn through.

HTH

adam1985

posted on 3/9/08 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
i have got one of the cheapo chalange buffers will this be up to the job do you think
Hadders

posted on 3/9/08 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Not really. You could try it but don't think you will have enough control. A mop is actually a large angle grinder with a sponge head on it and the ability to change the speed settings. The buffers are really only for applying wax.
adam1985

posted on 3/9/08 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
right ive got a makita angle drill i use for drilling joists i can vary the speed on it ill have to get a head to fit that then what sort am i best going for like a sponge head or a soft one ?
Hadders

posted on 3/9/08 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
The heads are a dense foam that velcros onto a plastic backing disc. These are threaded to go on a angle grinder. You may be able to find one with a drill chuck attachment, but its not what we use in the trade so not sure.

There are a few paint and smart repair product sellers on Ebay. Otherwise your local branch of Morellis or Brown Brothers will have all the trade stuff.

HTH

adam1985

posted on 3/9/08 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
ok will try that cheers mate
splitrivet

posted on 4/9/08 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got a compounding machine if you want to use it Adam.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.